• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Wish list

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Ok, almost ordered a 2015 Viper, but was a bit reluctant due to the fact it was an "A" model. I've owned a turbo Nytro and absolutely loved the fourstoke but wasn't a huge fan of the chassis. Am thinking about a 2016 Viper, but from the reviews so far, Yamaha needs a few minor improvements. 1) Better ski's 2) Better running boards 3) Roll over valve. All of you that own one, please chim in. Would be interested to know how you owners feel. Again, I have ZERO seat time, but miss the fourstoke torque. Maybe a new engine in the 2016? Interested in knowing what you think.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
alm ost 200 miles on my viper, its been a fun sled, at this point most of the downfalls are because its a arctic cat produced chassis and not a true yamaha,
fit and finish (i.e. plastics) is AC quality not up to par with yamaha standards.
so far improvements i've made to mine are:
-roll over valve
- 3inch Powerclaw on exchange for my 2.6, its a straight swap no drivers needed, weighs 1lb less than 2.6 and it was worth every penny performance wise.
-skis ordered C&A BX's
-front and rear bumpers.
-next up is headlight delete and lightweight battery, cheap way to shed alot of pounds

best out of the box sled yamaha has made I would have no problem if mine stayed stock but it will eventually see boost cause the power is so much fun.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I don't plan on going crazy with this sled because I don't see a need. The sled is just that good. I added the mpi turbo and clutching, knee pads, goggle warmer, and a muff pot. My sled is done for the time being. I may swap skis at some point but they work fine for the time being.

The running boards aren't that bad either. I haven't slipped or had excessive snow build up. They are far better than the nytro boards were.

Last edited:

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
I think I'm in the group that is going to hold off till it's a true Yamaha sled!!!!! Lol I've rode with the cat guys and have gone places with my Nytro they couldn't but that could all be the rider to

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Thanks for the feedback. Have owned all the top 4 and am not brand loyal at all. But I do love the 4 stroke power. Even the Nytro before I turboed it was fun. Was like a little tractor. Am curious to see what comes out in two to three months. Maybe Yamaha will come through with one of those 5 new motors they've been promising. I know, I know, don't hold my breath. What can I say, I'm an optimist.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I think we will see 2 or 3 trail sleds or possibly a crossover sled as the new models before there is a all new Yamaha designed mountain sled.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
And I hope Yamaha comes out with a 162" with a black tunnel. White??? Really?? And I know the Bronco's version was a black tunnel, but wasn't crazy about the scheme.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
And I hope Yamaha comes out with a 162" with a black tunnel. White??? Really?? And I know the Bronco's version was a black tunnel, but wasn't crazy about the scheme.

yup was the only reason i bought the le was for the black tunnel, the viper could use better skies,light weight battery & the hood could lose some weight,my god its the heaviest hood i have ever seen.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I'd like a 160hp NA motor to compete directly with 800cc two strokes. And drop 20lbs.

I hear that EVO has a kit (exhaust and ECM remap) that will give you 160hp NA. If that's the case, that's the direction I'll go. Had a turbo in the past and the power is nice, but not interested in that right now. However, if Yamaha ever had a factory installed turbo in the 180 range that was a snowcheck (and no, I don't believe them sending a turbo in a box to your dealer for them to installl is a factory installed turbo) then I might give is some thought. I guess we'll see here a couple months what everyone is offering.

Premium Features