• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The "new" Phazer II, looking at Vmax carbs.

C
Nov 17, 2013
Hey guys, new to the forum. I picked up this beast last weekend, traded it for an old C10 I dragged out of a field. I don't go into the mountains, so I figured it would be enough for around the farm, and the occasional trip out west into the bush.
1422489_10201428450845750_287694851_n.jpg

No idea what sled donated the tunnel, but the truck is 15x144, I think. It's 72~ from the drive to the end of the skid. It has a DG pipe, unfortunately, but it's what's there, and the only one I have, so it'll stay. Anyways, went to do the basic run through with maintenance, pulled the carbs off to see if the jetting was within range. Found this :mmph:
1441579_10201492403764533_138904526_n.jpg

Great. Stripped clean of any thread. Long story short, wreckers wanted too much for a stock carb, so I found a set of 95 Vmax 600 carbs for 2/3 the price.

So basically, I'm after some information regarding the Mikuni flatslide swap, in terms of fitment and jetting, before I start throwing around money.

From what I understand, the carb rack off a 94-96(?) VX600 will go directly into the boots, and function properly with the right throttle cables.

What should I be looking at for jetting? I'm at 3500' above sea level, with a custom intake set up with Uni filters, DG pipe, and the necessary clutch springs.

Any information or help is greatly appreciated, I would love to have this thing going soon!

Thanks!

L
Dec 25, 2012
NL
WOW. nice project. I am doing exactly the same as a project for my younger brother. DG pipe and 36 mm flat slide carbs. I am going to start with the biggest pilots and main jet I have for start up and go from there. I am keeping the air box stock for now. I should have it fired up this week. Without a doubt it will be pig rich but I need a starting point and were at sea level with oil injection. Its has been done by plenty of guys before but I still cannot find starting point jetting. Good luck That pipe does sound good

B
Jan 26, 2013
I would try to keep the airbox if you can. I lost a polaris triple that I put pods on: long story short the under hood heat changes the jetting, the steam off the pipe changes the jetting, the pressure changes under the hood changes the jetting. You will have better luck to leave it alone and run a stock air box. That being said, as long as the cylinder spacing is correct it should be no big deal to put in the rack mounted flat slide carbs. It might take a while to jet it in, but then it should run good. The flat slides also have air jets as well as an air pilot screw to there is one more thing to tune if you can't get the bottom end right. If I had to guess, I would say that the skid looks to be from a doo, the coil springs are kind of leading me that way. Those drop brackets look scary though. They appear to just be flat plate bolted to the chassis and I bet they will flex side to side a whole lot when you try and power carve that thing.

Last edited:
C
Nov 17, 2013
Nice! Let me know how it goes! Mine will probably be a little loud, the genius P/O replaced the can with a piece of pipe.

Air box is non existent, which is why I'm making my own system in the "cowl" in front of the steering shaft. If you look closely above the pull start, you can see the makeshift "cold air kit" with hardware store special floor drain grates. That is what I'm getting rid of. I'm not too worried about the drop brackets, doesn't appear to have any contact marks under there. Worst case, I have to TIG on some gussets.

As far as jetting, I'm going to get the same size jets as the current, as well as +1 +2 -1 -2 sizes and go from there with some plug chops. If anyone has a similar set up, feel more than free to post em up!

L
Dec 25, 2012
NL
Went to install carbs the other night and realized I will also need a oil cable to compliment the throttle cable and throttle lever. Got the stock carb on for now with 1998 mountain max reeds. As of right now that should be all there is needed for fitment. Then dial her in. Gonna start with
52.5 pilot
160 main
stock clip postion

C
Nov 17, 2013
Carbs have been received, cleaned, and now I'm waiting to find the right size pilot jet. So far we've only been able to find up to 65's(?), and I'm wondering if that's too small, being that 95's were stock.

Can anyone chime in with some jetting suggestions? For a main, I'm going to try a 147.5, which should be here tomorrow. Also forgot to take pics of the wiring on my pyrometer, so hopefully I can get that going right away.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
If you raise the back too much it puts too much pressure on the skis and will make the sled handle REALLY bad. Also please note those old 485 Phazer engines would run forever if you left them alone but addding performance parts usually resulted in a blown crankshaft.

I had a few back then my brother still has two...lol.

L
Dec 25, 2012
NL
As far as I know Yamaha do not use bigger than a 65 pilot jet in any of their sleds with flatslide carbs. The 95 in your stock butterfly carb is a different style. I would personally feel comfortable starting with that 65 pilot and for extra caution you can always raise the needles to give the engine fuel faster. Those main jets may workout for you but I would start bigger because I hate rebuilding engines. I hope this helps as our phazer project is on hold right now. I will share the final jetting when we get more snow.

C
Nov 17, 2013
Start with a 65? I might have to. I can only find bigger through EBC, and I don't want to deal with aftermarket junk. I'll run with the 147.5's for the initial fire up, it should be in the ballpark at my elevation.

Thanks for the good replies, guys! Much appreciated!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Did you end up using the flat slide carbs off from from the vmax 600? That sled had 2 cables coming from the throttle one for the throttle and one for the oil pump. I do have a complete bar assembly off from a 95 vmax 600 complete with throttle and oil cable, heated grips with wiring, kill and dimmer switch and brake lever. I also have the stock airbox.

Premium Features