• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Viper Build

Read some more threads and it seems like everyone loves the 20/42 set up, i believe I have the 15 wide chain, sold the narrow one that came on the stock shorty viper
just count the plates on the chain itself. yamaha only used the 15 on a few model years, and on the vipers went to the 13 plate hyvo chain with hyvo gears. hyvo gears wont work with non hyvo chains, and vice versa. but any combination of the same will work in your chaincase, meaning hyvo chain and gear set, non hyvo chain and gear set, or even a 15 plate set. you cant interchange widths either. 15 plate chains shouldnt be run on 13 w gears. hyvo gears are easy to visually distinguish from non hyvo.

L
Jul 29, 2008
LeMars Ia
viper build

good info in this thread, I am still in the process of clutching and gearing with mine. I took mine on a trip last month but i had only changed my gearing from 40 21 to 40 20 not near enough for the 162 i put under it. I bought a 42 and a 19 but am wondering if that is going to be too much shoudl i stick with the 20. I had a bunch of plans to try for clutching but with out the gearing nothing seemed to work. I put the silver spring in the secondary with a 42 degree helix and have a white white white spring in the primary. i am hoping that this set up will rock when i get the gears in.

i was going to try the 19/42, but i didnt like how much bend was in the chain at the tensioner. theres still alot of inefficiency with the 20/40 and the 70 link, in my opinion, too much bend in the chain. tried a 68 link with the 19/42 and it was not happening. about a 1/2 link short. gave up, went back to the 20/40 and the 70. i am running a 155.

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Gearing Question

I have a chance to trade some parts for an 18-40 gear setup with a 68 link chain, any help with this decision would be great. Thanks. I am going to be hitting the build hard the next three weeks, we leave for Centennial on the 16th of march so i have to work hard the next couple of weeks

S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
IMHO I wouldn't go with the 18T top gear. To tight of a wrap. Also, not as much grip on the chain. Or to few teeth in contact with the chain. If you're running pipes you're transfering a lot of power through the chaincase and I personally want as much contact with the top gear as possible. Don't get me wrong, you can do it, you just need to decide if it's acceptable to you.

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
I would totally agree with you, but I had a guy who wanted to trade me his gears plus some cash for a dial a jet setup I have. I am still lookin for a set of 19-42 gears if anyone has some, I have a 15 wide 70L chain

L
Jul 29, 2008
LeMars Ia
viper gears

I put the 19 /42 set up in mine. it pulls really hard cant wait to get out to the mountains and try it. not sure how much you are willing to spend but i bought my gears from a local dealer and they were about $80 -$90 for the pair which i thought was reasonable and i used my stock chain and it seems to be fine to me. I did have a 20 in withe the stock 40 but when i went to the 42 i dropped down to the 19 so i do have that 20 if you would be interested in that.
let me know

S
Dec 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
15 plate chains shouldnt be run on 13 w gears. .

I beg to differ. Sorry. I run a 15 wide top gear and a 13 wide bottom gear. 19/43 gearing. The thinner bottom gear weighs quite a bit less. Less rortating mass and less overall weight, win win situation. CAT has been doing this for years this is were I learned this trick. The top wide gear keeps the chain running true..................SRXtreme

PS nice build. DO NOT run dial-a-jets in the mountains, they plug with powder and then run full rich.I had snorkels and all!!

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Skid is done!!!

I finally finished the skid today, good thing because we leave in just over 2 weeks, I am making a frankenstien here with 2010 arctic cat rails and a 2002 viper proaction skid, amazingly enough the mounting locations were pretty close and the extrusion was similar to the yamaha, many parts just crossed over, one big change was the mounting height for the front arm, to accomplish this height I had to turn the shock mounting bracket back 15 degrees to get it to the stock dimensions, instead of being 4 inches too high and having an approach angle that would just not work. I made my own transfer kit and had several other custom encounters but all in all it was not bad, maybe 12 hours, mainly R & D to make sure I was still ending up with yamaha dimensions. I will have to set the skid back as the cat rails are about 3" longer in the nose compared to stock yamaha. hopefully I can clear the steering hoop when I mount. I liked the look of the cat rails and plan to powdercoat them this summer if I like the set up. if not the proaction stuff is gone. next big step is getting this thing in the tunnel, i am currently porting the track so once this is done it will begin to go back together and look like a snowmobile. Thanks a gain for all the help and I will keep posting pics. we leave for the snowines on march 16th. Guess I cant post pics anyone know how to get rid of the attachments that are stored??? (so I can post new ones)

Premium Features