• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mountain max skids

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
just throw the mpi transfer enhancment kit in?

or would a skid from a poo or cat work better than that?

what works and what doesnt?

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
My opinion - throw the stock skid away and bolt in any of the other 3 manufactuors mountains skids. All will work better than the stocker even with the tranfer kit. Currently I'm running Polaris skids with holz kits in them. Soooooooo much better than the stock skid.

M
Nov 26, 2007
I would like to run a different skid either a Cat or Poo, but the mounting I think would be hard to figure out, with out having the sled the skid came out of. To bad there isn't a template to run a Cat skid.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
yeah a '09 m8 skid and 153" powerclaw sure would look dandy under my MM.

we run the mpi kit in one of our MM's and it just such an awesome mod for that sled...can't beat the price either. feels like a whole new skid for only $50

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
skid swap

I would use the Polaris 136 Xtra lite. You can use the front mounting holes and build your own rear hangers. I have an extra one if you want to buy it.

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
I just rode my 2000 mountain max with an 06 159" polaris skid for the first time and it is awesome! If you are debating swapping out your yamaha suspension for a polaris skid, do it! Not only is the polaris suspension lighter, it also transfers a lot more, softer ride, and makes the sled a lot easier to handle on the mountain.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
that's my plan for next summers project :)

hope do a dragon skid with either 162" poo 5.1 track or a powerclaw.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I just rode my 2000 mountain max with an 06 159" polaris skid for the first time and it is awesome! If you are debating swapping out your yamaha suspension for a polaris skid, do it! Not only is the polaris suspension lighter, it also transfers a lot more, softer ride, and makes the sled a lot easier to handle on the mountain.

I am in the process of doing it. Just researching to make sure I get the measurments right. The xtra-lite I have came with an SLP long travel kit installed on it. I had the Fox shock rebuilt and can't wait to try it out but have to mount it first. This one is going to be spinning a Doo 151x16x2.

Have fun!

-BD1

L
Aug 10, 2008
The 06 Polaris skid did you have to change much to fit that I am debating what to do with mine. Any help would be great. 2000 mountain max

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
In order to make the 06 polaris skid work with my setup, I had to do the following. I am using a 15" track under my 16" tunnel so I used the stock yamaha rear skid, aluminum rods that mount the suspension to the tunnel and put them into the polaris skid. One of the rods was the correct diameter 0.75" the other rod "the front one" I had to turn down on the lathe from 0.85" to 0.75" then I made four 1/2 by 0.75" ID tubing spacers to fit on each side of the aluminum rods to fill the gap between the suspension brakets and tunnel. After that I put the skid under my tunnel measured and marked the new front mounting hole and drilled them to the correct diameter and mounted the skid. Took me about an afternoon to complete, not counting the lathe work.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Hey, have you ever tried adjustable control rods? I've been debating on that or the mpi transfer kit. Does it still give a good ride on the trail?

I didn't notice any major differences in the ride after putting the MPI kit on except when you got off the trail. For 50 bucks it is a good mod for improving off trail capability.

C

cheddar brawt

Dec 25, 2007
I just finished putting a timbersled skid under my mm. Gonna try it to day! It was unbeleiveable weight difference between old skid and timberskid probally 60-70lbs! I will let you guys know how she works tonight. Maybe even post pics.

Premium Features