• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dodge 3500 2008 diesel vs. Ford 450 2008 Diesel

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
So a buddy of mine is going to buy a truck, he is looking at either a Dodge 1 ton or the ford 450 Diesel doooley, what are the +/- of the engines and how does everyone find the doooleys in the snow??

P
Nov 26, 2007
I have a Ford F450, it is a 2005 4WD 4 door with a factory pickup body. Love the truck for work. Sucks in the snow. It weighs 9,500 pounds as it sits. Plus it is longer than a standard dually. Also, finding a good tire shop for the 19.5 can be a challenge.

Once I hit 100K on her I tried to trade it in on a Dodge 4500. I had a feeling about the Powerstoke needing some repairs in the near future. the dodge deal fell through. And, I just replaced 3 injectors on the F450.

Heres the Dodge 4500 I am talking about.

dodge4500.jpg

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
I have an 08 Cummins, so far I'm pleased with the power output, and everything else. I don't know if the Fords have a factory exhaust brake? But I love pulling a load down a pass and not being on the breaks the whole time. I do know my Dodge was about 7K less than similarly equipped Ford. Take it for what its worth.

As far as a dually in the snow...Not going to be as solid as a SRW to say the least.

D
Feb 27, 2008
I have an 08 Cummins, so far I'm pleased with the power output, and everything else. I don't know if the Fords have a factory exhaust brake? But I love pulling a load down a pass and not being on the breaks the whole time. I do know my Dodge was about 7K less than similarly equipped Ford. Take it for what its worth.

As far as a dually in the snow...Not going to be as solid as a SRW to say the least.

Babbit, how does that engine brake perform, thinking about putting an aftermarket one on my Duramax.

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
Babbit, how does that engine brake perform, thinking about putting an aftermarket one on my Duramax.

I think that it works well. I mean, If I'm running empty coming off the highway, if I shift down fairly fast it will chirp the tires in the rear.

I was towing a my old 96 ram on a 24 foot steel hay trailer, with my bike in the back and all my tools that I accumulated in college back to my dad's house. Coming down the Butte Pass heading west (dont know if your from around MT) and I didnt have to hit the brakes once. I actually thought I was going too slow sometimes.

If I ever get another diesel thats not equiped, It might be one of the first things that I put on...

Premium Features