• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel for a R&D turbo kit

L

Lynxman

Sep 20, 2009
I've ordered a R&D kit and I'm interested in what fuel to run...
I ride from 1000 to 3000 feet. Is it possible to use avgas, or do I
need race fuel with 108 oct or so? Can't wait for the kit to
arrive here in Norway!!!:D

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
It's coming together Ola;). I sent the head off again this morning for the third time:( to get the correct design for your application. The thing I have to keep in mind is the quality of your fuel in Norway. I know the octane is "rated" high, but I don't feel it's rating is comparable to US standards. If I can't get the correct head design built off the stock head then I will ship off an aftermarket head for you that has a design that has something a guy can work with. The stock head has it's limits on what we can machine out. I really don't want a head with removable chambers for the boosted applications until I test one myself to be sure the chambers don't move. I will be calling Monday about a head I'm thinking of trying. This is why I want a proven chamber in the stock head. I need to prove to myself the removable domes wont move around under boost.

Dave

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I am not positive, but I believe they list the research octane on the pump in norway.
Where the us lists the motor octane plus research octane devided by 2. or the average of the motor octane and research octane. Motor octane is what counts.

L

Lynxman

Sep 20, 2009
That sounds good Dave! Yes we use the research octane number
here, so our 98 is more like your 91. If I can use avgas, then that's
no problem. The 102 race fuel I have, from petroleum carless, has the combined ron+mon/2 of
96 oct. If that's not enough, just tell me what VP fuel to use, and
I'll get hold og it!

G
Apr 23, 2008
I've had no problems with removeable dome stock casting doo race shop heads at stupid high boost levels.
We used a Cudney billet on drivelines 20 psi boost sled for 3 years without any trouble either.

stop deto and everything is happy..lol

avgas is fine for up to 12 psi with stock heads and stock timing.
vp c 12 or c 14 will allow the boost to go up in the 20's

good scale, for the lower elevation guys is, 100 motor octane for 13.1 compression and stock timing = 10-12 psi max for all day runining.

108 motor octane , good to 15-16 psi
113-114 motor octane , good to 22 psi.

retarding timing 2 degrees is very helpfull with a good turbo , try it and tell me what you think..

Gus

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Good info Gus!! Ola this will be very helpfull to you and myself. Gus has done more testing at low elevation with high boost than most have ever rode :eek:. Gus is who I use for my low elevation teacher. He has done more than I could possably get done.

Thanks again for the input and help Gus!!

Dave

F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
Hey Twin you should know the answer to that one. I thought you sold turbo kits on here under the name "Turbo Performance"... or am I wrong?

Fack

L

Lynxman

Sep 20, 2009
Thaks a lot Gus! :)
I hope you can figure out the head issues Dave! :)
I've heard the jetting has to be a bit higher when running avgas, and the lead in it kills the O2-sensor for the air/fuel gauge. If it is, it would be nice to know so we can adjust the baseline jetting perhaps? And also order a case of O2-sensors.....;)

G
Apr 23, 2008
Yes, Avgas requires a 4 size increase on the mains and 1 size on the pilots. The needles are field tuned for response, usually just a clip richer and good to go.

When we switch from c 14 to c 16 we have to rejet also, many of the race fuels have different specific gravity ratings that others of the same motor octane. this differnece is what gives you an idea of if the fuel weight changed and how to jet for it.. Or at least what to expect.

Gus
Fack..... I should post all the bs pm's I have from smile and the gang over at OT's halfway house...LOL

Justin durant just blew the lid off the hp record at dynotech over 560hp out of the v max 4 2 stroke, like I always said, no deto right ???

Justin uses STOCK bolts nuts and little tiny 8mm studs at 31 psi to hold the undamamged engine together..so much for the killer loads ah ? that was a 140 hp engine at best,, boosted up to 560...go rethink your ideas of load and strength under boost.

Last edited:
D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Ola, I have 2 heads out right now for your sled and I have 2 more coming and I will be making a phone call in the morning for a mod to the stock head shell using removable chambers. This is the way we have to go due to the stock design of the chamber. I should know more tomarrow.

The lead and oil is tough on the O2 sensors, but cleaneing them helps some and they aren't too expensive. The placement of the probe helps expand it's life too. When you get your kit then carbs should have a very close baseline in the jetting.

Gus is correct though, different fuels of the same octane have different specific gravity and that is one reason for different jetting requirements from fuel to fuel. From my testing the efi sleds are more inconsistant from fuel to fuel.

Dave

Thaks a lot Gus! :)
I hope you can figure out the head issues Dave! :)
I've heard the jetting has to be a bit higher when running avgas, and the lead in it kills the O2-sensor for the air/fuel gauge. If it is, it would be nice to know so we can adjust the baseline jetting perhaps? And also order a case of O2-sensors.....;)

Yes, Avgas requires a 4 size increase on the mains and 1 size on the pilots. The needles are field tuned for response, usually just a clip richer and good to go.

When we switch from c 14 to c 16 we have to rejet also, many of the race fuels have different specific gravity ratings that others of the same motor octane. this differnece is what gives you an idea of if the fuel weight changed and how to jet for it.. Or at least what to expect.

Gus
Fack..... I should post all the bs pm's I have from smile and the gang over at OT's halfway house...LOL

Justin durant just blew the lid off the hp record at dynotech over 560hp out of the v max 4 2 stroke, like I always said, no deto right ???

Justin uses STOCK bolts nuts and little tiny 8mm studs at 31 psi to hold the undamamged engine together..so much for the killer loads ah ? that was a 140 hp engine at best,, boosted up to 560...go rethink your ideas of load and strength under boost.

Isn't that the truth Gus, I've been tell a few guys in the industry that for years, that you can make big power with out things like Huge studs,O rings and Meth injection as long as you start with the right CR and use the right fuel and have good control over fuel delivery and timing.

Big hp from small displacement engine is nothing new, Formula one cars back in the 80's where making 1200hp from 1200cc engines.

Cliff Yeatman
Advanced DYno

Premium Features