• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

any snowmobiling on mt.Hood yet ??

J
Sep 9, 2016
If you go to www.sledspace.com there's a guy on there named Brent who is looking for someone to ride Hood Saturday.
I found that guy through the link that you posted and appreciate it. I think we're going to hold off till mid week next week to give it a shot. We prefer it possible not to go on the weekend., it's just a little too busy.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The only good snowmobiling from Portland, is either Mt. St. Helens or the snow parks accessible through Carson or Troutlake. With the Snow King snowpark having the most advanced sledding of the Carson/Troutlake group. Mt St Helens west side/Cougar snow park, can require advanced skills to get up on the mountain. Mt St Helens east side/Marble Mtn snow park, is a little more suitable for beginner/intermediate sledders, with advanced sledding available. Mt. Hood has tremendous skiier traffic to deal with, whereas SW Washington has virtually no traffic. Mt Hood has nothing but boring trail riding.

J
Sep 9, 2016
The only good snowmobiling from Portland, is either Mt. St. Helens or the snow parks accessible through Carson or Troutlake. With the Snow King snowpark having the most advanced sledding of the Carson/Troutlake group. Mt St Helens west side/Cougar snow park, can require advanced skills to get up on the mountain. Mt St Helens east side/Marble Mtn snow park, is a little more suitable for beginner/intermediate sledders, with advanced sledding available. Mt. Hood has tremendous skiier traffic to deal with, whereas SW Washington has virtually no traffic. Mt Hood has nothing but boring trail riding.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer this thread but I had to give your answer a thumbs down for a couple of reasons first of all definitely not answering the question asked would be the first one and second I've actually had quite a few good experiences myself up at Mount Hood as I've spent probably about 50% of my snowmobiling there since it's so close hence the reason I'm asking about if anybody's been up. (Howa bought that long sentence ?!) Yes there are a couple of simple things I've learned over the years about going to Mount Hood, first would be definitely to leave early and go early before the skiers and such and then leave a little early to avoid traffic on the way back. I always like to be home while there's still some daylight any ways to clean the machines. I found many play areas with lots of climbing and side hilling that challenges my skill level. And as you mention hundreds of miles of boring groomed trails through the Mount Hood Forest to get to these great player areas.
NOW, I very much agree That Mount Hood is probably the least favorite of all the places I've been but definitely from where I'm at quick and easy and fun.
I'm glad you mentioned the other places so people know, but I'd prefer if we could keep this particular thread about the condition on Mount Hood and maybe someone else can start one on conditions in the other close areas. Sometimes I just like to go where conditions are best. If anything I'll try and post anything I can tell about my trips again thank you ....
by the way, WHO WAS THAT GUY ?!!?:juggle:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I appreciate you taking the time to answer this thread but I had to give your answer a thumbs down for a couple of reasons first of all definitely not answering the question asked would be the first one and second I've actually had quite a few good experiences myself up at Mount Hood as I've spent probably about 50% of my snowmobiling there since it's so close hence the reason I'm asking about if anybody's been up. (Howa bought that long sentence ?!) Yes there are a couple of simple things I've learned over the years about going to Mount Hood, first would be definitely to leave early and go early before the skiers and such and then leave a little early to avoid traffic on the way back. I always like to be home while there's still some daylight any ways to clean the machines. I found many play areas with lots of climbing and side hilling that challenges my skill level. And as you mention hundreds of miles of boring groomed trails through the Mount Hood Forest to get to these great player areas.
NOW, I very much agree That Mount Hood is probably the least favorite of all the places I've been but definitely from where I'm at quick and easy and fun.
I'm glad you mentioned the other places so people know, but I'd prefer if we could keep this particular thread about the condition on Mount Hood and maybe someone else can start one on conditions in the other close areas. Sometimes I just like to go where conditions are best. If anything I'll try and post anything I can tell about my trips again thank you ....
by the way, WHO WAS THAT GUY ?!!?:juggle:

I gave you a thumbs down because you attitude sucks. You don't get to decide, who says what in an online public forum. You are not the administrator. Since it appears that you have never attempted to climbed above the tree line at the west side of Mt St Helens by going up the pass route, nor ever climbed Mt. St. Helens to the top on any of 5 different routes (I have), nor ever climbed out of Hell Roaring, nor have you ever climbed to the top of the Ridge of Wonders at Mt. Adams (I have done it with a 440 but normally it requires an 800), then you really have no idea what snowmobiling is yet. There is nothing on Mt Hood, that is even remotely in the same ball park as what is offered the same distance away from Portland or less, but in SW Washington. Living close to Mt Hood, does not make it better sledding. Oh, and the quote "who is that guy" is from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You get the snow depths from the Snotel and ODOT websites. Due to all the beginner snowmobile traffic that tears up the trails, you will need at least 12 inches at the Warm Springs junction from ODOT, at least 24" at Clear Lake from Snotel, and 48" at White River from ODOT for the trails to be usable. And it should have been there for a couple of weeks, in order to form a base. Right now there is only 7 inches at the first two locations and 35" at White River, and it has not formed a base.

J
Sep 9, 2016
I gave you a thumbs down because you attitude sucks. You don't get to decide, who says what in an online public forum. You are not the administrator. Since it appears that you have never attempted to climbed above the tree line at the west side of Mt St Helens by going up the pass route, nor ever climbed Mt. St. Helens to the top on any of 5 different routes (I have), nor ever climbed out of Hell Roaring, nor have you ever climbed to the top of the Ridge of Wonders at Mt. Adams (I have done it with a 440 but normally it requires an 800), then you really have no idea what snowmobiling is yet. There is nothing on Mt Hood, that is even remotely in the same ball park as what is offered the same distance away from Portland or less, but in SW Washington. Living close to Mt Hood, does not make it better sledding. Oh, and the quote "who is that guy" is from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie.
HOLLY SMOKES MAN! CHILL!
I wasn't telling anybody what they could or couldn't say I just merely if you look and see ask that I would prefer if we could keep the thread OnPoint about the weather on Mount Hood? I've been on forums plenty of times and these threads can go anywhere so for the record if you want to talk about hamburgers donuts and cheeseburgers on this thread by all means go ahead it doesn't matter I was just hoping to keep it like that like this headline says anybody know the weather on Mount Hood or been up there kind of trying to get some experience of what it's like up there. As far as having an attitude I'm pretty sure I said please and thank you and somewhere in there I agreed with you 100% that Mount Hood was not the best place to go I don't know how you missed that one and I only still over there snowmobile there 50% of the time the other 50% of the time we spend in eastern Oregon in halfway Anthony Lakes Baker City and the likes there's plenty there also to challenge my skills and under no circumstances did I mention anything about you not knowing how to ride your snowmobile and that you've been to all these great places and you're a great rider and that's great and I'm happy for you.
Anyways I'm looking for friends to ride and looking to make friends here on the Forum Exchange good exchanges show peace my brother I'm not trying to start the internet who ha

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Wow this thread really took a turn for the worse quickly, if you don't like Hood great. Jump on a guys thread and diss his riding spot and I'd expect to get a thumbs down. You can thumbs down me, I take them as a compliment;)

J
Sep 9, 2016
We were at skyline today and just did a short ride to frog lake and back. Nothing groomed yet. Lots of deep-ish powder to play on and near the trail. We know this is just "base makin's" snow. We were there couse we got pictures! I'M OLD AND SORE!! First pic- deep in the pow on the trail? (EDIT: anybody wanting to learn how to snowmobile upside down please PM me for further information! LMAO) Second pic- frog lake parking lot. Third pic- happy wife!!
20161206_131136.jpg

20161206_135702.jpg

20161206_130953.jpg

J
Sep 9, 2016
Always good to see some fellow Cat riders out busting some pow!
I almost busted my neck! And FYI anybody out there in the skyline parking lot don't follow those tracks out of the parking lot up that 8 foot vertical tank is on the other side it's a major dropped off 8 foot straight down the other side! My wife seen me catch Complete Air !!! she could hear me on the other side go OOOOFFFFFFF!! I thought my wrist were going to snap off when I landed. :crazy:
Live n learn...

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
HOLLY SMOKES MAN! CHILL!
I wasn't telling anybody what they could or couldn't say I just merely if you look and see ask that I would prefer if we could keep the thread OnPoint about the weather on Mount Hood? I've been on forums plenty of times and these threads can go anywhere so for the record if you want to talk about hamburgers donuts and cheeseburgers on this thread by all means go ahead it doesn't matter I was just hoping to keep it like that like this headline says anybody know the weather on Mount Hood or been up there kind of trying to get some experience of what it's like up there. As far as having an attitude I'm pretty sure I said please and thank you and somewhere in there I agreed with you 100% that Mount Hood was not the best place to go I don't know how you missed that one and I only still over there snowmobile there 50% of the time the other 50% of the time we spend in eastern Oregon in halfway Anthony Lakes Baker City and the likes there's plenty there also to challenge my skills and under no circumstances did I mention anything about you not knowing how to ride your snowmobile and that you've been to all these great places and you're a great rider and that's great and I'm happy for you.
Anyways I'm looking for friends to ride and looking to make friends here on the Forum Exchange good exchanges show peace my brother I'm not trying to start the internet who ha
Some of us appreciated the info about where the best riding is close by, didn't hurt the Mt Hood topic at all and is relevant to MOST of us who snowmobile. Cheers!

J
Sep 9, 2016
Some of us appreciated the info about where the best riding is close by, didn't hurt the Mt Hood topic at all and is relevant to MOST of us who snowmobile. Cheers!
lol- I think people are selectively reading the parts of my post they want to? If you look at post #7 carefully! You'll see that my opening sentence is talking about appreciating, the second paragraph sentence is saying that I really don't favor Mount Hood and my third sentence and this is the key one to answer your question me again saying that I appreciate the info about all the other spots.
I was just merely trying to keep this thread on the subject of Mount Hood. If you noticed there are other threads here in the Oregon section of this forum on other places like Tollgate and halfway? I went on the one on halfway and shared pictures of my experiences there and didn't talk about all the other places that I thought were better. I could I could post pictures of all the other places I've been and talk about how better they are also one of the other posters mention Mount st. Helens and all these other places I've been there and I can post pictures of them but actually I was just trying to keep this thread on Mount Hood for the people doing their like mentioned there's a lot of new people going up there and it's a place where people who've never had a snowmobile are familiar with going skiing and stuff like that. I quite enjoyed helping new snowmobilers teaching them how to ride their sled and helping them stay safe.
So seriously here folks I'm trying to be part of the solution and be helpful, not part of the problem and be a dick. So along those lines I think I'm going to start a new thread (which seems to be a problem for some people) and it's going to be entitled "your favorite spot to snowmobile in Oregon" since this is the Oregon part of the forum. Or should it be entitled "Best place to ride closest to Portland"?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
No problem here, this just happened to be the most current post that references OR snow conditions and I found ALL of the information on this thread useful. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to post useful and relevant information about riding areas, snow conditions and etc..
Have a great day and I hope you have a safe and fun filled season!

J
Sep 9, 2016
I'll try and keep this thread updated on the conditions on mt.Hood as I go this season. Likely if I go other places (in oregon) I'll start a new thread and tell of our experiences and the weather conditions at the time.
I apologize for any long winded post, but so much can get lost in this form of communication. Probably the reason 90% of people on this forum (or any forum) don't post anything.

J
Sep 9, 2016
My wife said she seen on Facebook (I call it "spacebook")that the mt. Hood snowmobile club will start grooming trails Monday 12/12/16.

J
Sep 9, 2016
Another great day/ride at mt.Hood today - powder for everyone ! No traffic, and the road crew's are doing a great job.
As always we were there because we have pictures.....
20161216_134831.jpg

Premium Features