• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

975 Big bore

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Is there anyone building this in a kit I can buy? I guess The spacer basically, really everything else I can get on my own right? just pistons and some machine work.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Ted at Terra-Alps sells this as a kit. The spacer shims up the cylinders to account for the pistons from the M1000 being taller than the stock 900's.

You can also just stack 5 base gaskets to shim the cylinders, we did this with one and ran it for a couple months with no problems before we got our shims made.

If you do this, I would highly recommend the recoil adapter for the M1000 recoil as well.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Mr. Catman,

How does the performance sheet look from this motor? I want to do a big bore that pulls hard, but is a pull-n-go sled. You seem to have a handle on these motors, lend us some insight.... Thanks

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
As far as actual dyno sheets, I have no idea. The guy that made our port templates says they could be made to handle ~200 hp @ sea level.

I wouldn't say we're getting that much, we keep our porting pretty mild, but it feels stronger than our thundercats ever did.

My dad and I are running 3 of these as twins, and we've just got single pipes, reeds, and heads on them. They are a vast improvement over a stock 900. The bottom and mid on ours is much better, but like I said, mild porting.

We ran 1 for over 1500 miles this season, with no motor problems and no touching of the motor after the initial tune (we broke a chain.) We had some detonation problems with the other two, so we backed off the compression a little. (running 91 octane in them all)

Our best running one will keep up with an M1000. Same rider/conditions, they are very close, probably too close to call. The M1000 had reeds, single pipe and head also, and I would say it was running well.

The 975 has a much harder hit, like the 900 twin is known for over the M1000.

Short answer, I think it is well worth it, especially if you don't particularly care for the ergonomics of the M-series.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Thats a good answer, thank you. I would like to run a cast piston for the cold siezure problem that has plagued many forged piston motors over the years. I was leaning 100% towards the speedwerx 1000 kit because they did the porting, mono head, and modifying the power valves. $2000 seems fair for that kit, what is this one may I ask? and what pipe and head are you running? Thanks a lot

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have no idea what the kit costs, but we went this way for cast pistons also. We ground the power valves ourselves, and already had the mono head for our 9's. My dad milled out the squish on our 900 head to fit the 975 so we are essentially running modified speedwerx heads. We've got Black Magic singles on ours, but we also built a triple with these cylinders and have SLP pipes on that.

If you give me a day or so I can figure what kind of money we had to put into it, but I know it was less that buying a kit.

S

snow_dogg

Mar 16, 2008
Way off the subject

This isn't anything close to what you were talking about, but you seem to be in the know. I have been looking for a set of SLP twins for my 2003 Cat 900, but haven't had any luck. Just missed a set on KSL.com. Tried SLP direct, Western Powersports, ebay, Articchat.com, and more. Any ideas. snow_dogg@msn.com. Thanks for any info you might have.

As far as actual dyno sheets, I have no idea. The guy that made our port templates says they could be made to handle ~200 hp @ sea level.

I wouldn't say we're getting that much, we keep our porting pretty mild, but it feels stronger than our thundercats ever did.

My dad and I are running 3 of these as twins, and we've just got single pipes, reeds, and heads on them. They are a vast improvement over a stock 900. The bottom and mid on ours is much better, but like I said, mild porting.

We ran 1 for over 1500 miles this season, with no motor problems and no touching of the motor after the initial tune (we broke a chain.) We had some detonation problems with the other two, so we backed off the compression a little. (running 91 octane in them all)

Our best running one will keep up with an M1000. Same rider/conditions, they are very close, probably too close to call. The M1000 had reeds, single pipe and head also, and I would say it was running well.

The 975 has a much harder hit, like the 900 twin is known for over the M1000.

Short answer, I think it is well worth it, especially if you don't particularly care for the ergonomics of the M-series.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I don't know much about twin pipes, we don't use them as they make the tuning a little finicky. The only twin pipes I have dealt with are the stampings we got to build the pipes for our triple. When we were building those, we did pick up a set of SLP twins, but I don't know if we want to get rid of them, or if we are going to try to put them on our triple. We also don't have a silencer to go with them. I will talk to my dad and see what he wants to do with them.

Where are you located?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Lets see if i have this figured out.
Get M1000 pistons
Bore cylenders and have them renicked
get spacer for cylenders
Grind power valves
re work heads
put her all back together.

What exactly do you have to do to the heads?

K
Nov 29, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ted at Terra-Alps sells this as a kit. The spacer shims up the cylinders to account for the pistons from the M1000 being taller than the stock 900's.

You can also just stack 5 base gaskets to shim the cylinders, we did this with one and ran it for a couple months with no problems before we got our shims made.

If you do this, I would highly recommend the recoil adapter for the M1000 recoil as well.

Thanks,
yes we sell the 975, built one when the m1000 in 07' came out and its been an awesome motor, all are still running, stock cast pistons, we ceramic coat them for the extra touch. cyls are bored ported then nikasil'd, then touched up again to make sure its in spec. machine the stock dome or aftermarket domes if you have some. modify the exhaust valves. we build a spacer plate for the kit, cnc cut.
twin jaws d pipes work great, bored carbs and reeds with an airbox mod for more air. we have converted some 990's and 1000's to the 975 with stock cast pistons. this motor hauls azz.
we also build the large recoil kit for the older cat twin motors. its on our website.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Rixster, you have to widen the squish on the heads to the new bore, so you don't get contact. Thats really the only mod we make, then reshape the squish a little.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Great engine, maybe the best N/A out there.

Ted's kit would be about the only way to get all the details right.

Ted, as you might of heard, mine is working great here at 1.500' but I'm a bit worried about my 8 to 10,000' tuning. I'm guessing three MM choking the Jaws D-pipe twins. as well as jetting and clutching. Does that sound right?

I had tried the pipes as is and they wouldn't work. I wrapped them and choked them. Then they over heated, but when I removed the chokes she hauled the mail. I saved the chokes thinking I will need them for high alt. Do you think so too?

Owen

Last edited:
U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
So what kinda cost are we looking at here?

I'd love to stay with the cast pistons if I can. I am running the stock heads, but that Speedwerx mono head looks nice. The Speedwerx tech told me their pistons are very relaible and they don't use Weiscos anymore.... The 1000cc kit for the 800/900 with a head, boaring, porting, and pistons is $2000. BUT if this kit is comparable cost and power wise I think the cast relablility would be alot better with the 975.

K
Nov 29, 2007
Kelowna BC
Owen,
for elevation you can choke the stinger down to a 35.5mm reducer 2" long.
I wouldn't wrap the pipes, contain to much heat. you could adjust the squish as well. maybe pick up a set of used heads and have one set for high elevation.

I haven't tried the slp's personally since they first came out back in 04'. one of our clients does have them and swears by them? we did a front dump kit on them for him.
we have had best results with the d pipes over others, one of our other clients is running the d pipes now as we tried a couple sets and the d pipes were much better then the other for the bigbore ported motor, the other pipes were designed for the 900 or 863cc motor, as the d pipes are designed for 1000cc or larger motors. hes also running my clutches from my 1160:eek: as his spider cracked, 7900 rpm it haulz.

Ted,

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
kost,
thanks i have a set of ds and was looking to get a set of slp to just play with but if you have done this the i will just set up the d for a front dump and be done.:D

Premium Features