• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pilot Parking Area/Cooke

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Looks like we have lost 90% of the parking area. The Shoshone National Forest had a construction company come in and reclaim the parking lot. The upper lot has not been reclaimed.
We will need those that park there to call the Shoshone Forest, Wyoming State Trails, and WY Park County Commissioners to voice your concern.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well that sucks !!!! :face-icon-small-fro

We always go to the parking lot and ride up.

I can't imagine the people of Cooke City that depend on winter business really appreciate that either!!

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I did a quick online search for an EIS and SOPA for this reclamation plan and nothing. Wonder where the permitting is located?

If for some odd reason WYDOT and USFS didn’t think it was feasible to plow that section of Bear Tooth Pass and Pilot Parking Lot for the excuse to reclaim Pilot Parking Lot, then why didn’t the USFS have a parking fee like Albany, Wy? I’m sure all of us from the South and East of Cooke City would of been more than happy to pay a small fee for parking to keep that lot open and plowed!

I guess a guy needs to check to see if we are able to park on the edge of Crandall Road (HWY 296), since I can see they plan on closing down the entire Bear tooth HWY.

Last edited:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
This is crazy. So the people that live in Cooke May have to drive 3 hrs 1 way to Billings thru the park instead of the 1 or so to Cody! I always use the parking lot. Closer for us plus ease of access to tow. Would have no problem paying a usage fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
So is this the next step towards eliminating motorized recreation in the National Forests? The land is open to ride, but the access is going to be limited.

Our riding group uses the Pilot lot all the time. This is really going to overcrowd the roadside parking for Top of the World now.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Could someone explain what reclaiming the lot means?

Also a phone number and email would be nice for voicing concerns

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Could someone explain what reclaiming the lot means?

Also a phone number and email would be nice for voicing concerns

Remove asphalt if any, distribute top soil, seed grass, forb’s, and shrubs, plant trees, install fence to prevent motorized vehicles from entering property to assist vegetative establishment and growth.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
There has to be some sort of permit on reclamation. Any time dot does any thing there are hoops to jump through sounds like a sneaky attack on sledders.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I was told they are hauling all the waste from doing the Beartooth project and grading it out in the parking lot. I did see some of it and they rocked off the lower parking lot. I was also told they are making it smaller and want to make it hard for winter parking.
I personally thought they did that last year by not plowing the road

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
This is absurd!!!

Again, I cannot imagine the people of Cooke City would be in favor of this?!?!? Limited ingress and egress for the people that live there, limited access for sledders coming to spend money and for what?!?!?!?

Please keep this going !!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Please refresh my memory is the parking lot in Wyoming or Montana. Just also bought wy sticker so I've never paid attention.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Gotta wonder who's behind this! Just to show up and tear up the parking lot, no discussion, no notification. Wonder if somebody with just enough strings to pull got pissed by the WPLI failure and struck back as best they could. Guess they'd rather people clog up the roads parking wherever they can find a spot. I mean, maybe there's a possibility of something else behind this, but it sure smells fishy.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just out of curiosity, has anyone reached out to someone that lives in the area that might know more ???

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
My riding friend put in a call to the Exxon gas station, he was informed that the parking lot was going to be open like normal this winter and that social media was making something out of nothing.:face-icon-small-sho

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I will try to copy and paste TKI Toms post on Sledderz 2.0. Seems there will be a meeting on November 2nd at the lot.

I am not there and was not part of the conversation, so I do not want to screw up particulars. Sounds like Forest Service understands need for lot, and maybe it’s just moving some poorly placed boulders. Like I said just messenger. I may have it wrong.

Premium Features