• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You guys paying attention to this?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Interesting read it will be something to watch since a lot of places have not had enough snow to ride yet this year. I would be pretty nervous if i had one with big boost. even one with low boost if they are starting to see failures with the low boost kits too.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Ok, so what changed on rods? I show the same part number for all Nytro and Vipers from 2008 to 2016?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Apparently there was a change mid production run for 2016. These are the late 2016s. Does that show up on a parts search? I haven't checked.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Did some research and, yes they made a mid-run change on the engines. I guess we will see what comes of it.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
I believe this thread and all posts from totallyamaha are worthless without pics or vid of an actual failure. Pics from a rod in a machine press bending like a question mark is just not making me a believer of a real world scenario.

T
Mar 30, 2010
Whats the cut off when they switched to lighter parts month wise on builds and then they switched back? or they still using the newer lighter parts?

Is mpi not taking action like mcx?

So if u bought a 2016 late build and bought a mcx turbo kit 190 or 270 it should sit parked or take the motor out and put the old crank and billet rods back in?

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I believe this thread and all posts from totallyamaha are worthless without pics or vid of an actual failure. Pics from a rod in a machine press bending like a question mark is just not making me a believer of a real world scenario.

Agreed, one turbo builder who sent me a controller for a boosted Phazer that was too lean mid range (in January 2013) is saying this. When somebody that has built many late 2016 (MPI side by side builds) chimes in then I am interested.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
When most of the sleds that will be experiencing this issue are running a factory authorized turbo kit that does NOT void the warranty, I'm not seeing what the problem is with running your sled the way it is. If it bends a rod and ruins a motor, looks like Yamaha will be buying you a new motor, as well as paying for you to rent a sled to you through the rest of your trip. Gotta love warranty.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
When most of the sleds that will be experiencing this issue are running a factory authorized turbo kit that does NOT void the warranty, I'm not seeing what the problem is with running your sled the way it is. If it bends a rod and ruins a motor, looks like Yamaha will be buying you a new motor, as well as paying for you to rent a sled to you through the rest of your trip. Gotta love warranty.

Not sure what you are saying. This is MCX who has expressed concern over the new motor. They are not factory endorsed.

As sad as it is to say, if MPI and Yamaha determine this engine to be "ok" with the 180 kit they sell.. They may not be overly concerned. And that could be a turning point for a lot of potential buyers. Unless they are willing to strip down the engine completely and rebuild with stronger components. I know if I bought a 2016 I'd have a lot of questions right now.

I bought my 2015 MTX because of Yamaha's reputation for building quality machines. It wasn't long after, I began questioning my motive to buy a Yama-cat.. and now it just keeps getting worse. I'm purely speculating right now, but if all of this is true Yamaha's reputation may be severely damaged.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
It is misrepresentation clearly. If they sold 2016 sleds as having the same engine as the 2015, and then changed them without telling anyone, they lied. Simple as that.
I myself have a 2016 with an Evo about to go on. Once I figure out which engine is in the snowmobile, I'll know if the turbo is being installed or if they are both being sold. I've been down this road before and am not willing to knowingly go into a short season with a ticking time bomb....

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Read Yamaha's warranty coverage.

I don't even have to know how to read.......I have been there and done that.

What if your sled dies in the backcountry and you have to call Life Flight to get you out because your fingers are freezing and then you have to get another chopper to get the sled the next morning, and then you can't drive (because of the finger issue) so you have to call a towing service to come get your sled from your house and take it to the dealer and then you find out that you lost your phone when you were getting in the chopper the first time, so you have to buy a new phone and get in next day air because it is an emergency and then then you find out that one of the missed calls you had was your girlfriend having a heart attack because of your frozen finger issue and so they had to life flight her out that night and she didn't have health insurance and you are so mad that you kick her $12,000 dog right in the nutz and it dies....... is that covered?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

What if your sled dies in the backcountry and you have to call Life Flight to get you out because your fingers are freezing and then you have to get another chopper to get the sled the next morning, and then you can't drive (because of the finger issue) so you have to call a towing service to come get your sled from your house and take it to the dealer and then you find out that you lost your phone when you were getting in the chopper the first time, so you have to buy a new phone and get in next day air because it is an emergency and then then you find out that one of the missed calls you had was your girlfriend having a heart attack because of your frozen finger issue and so they had to life flight her out that night and she didn't have health insurance and you are so mad that you kick her $12,000 dog right in the nutz and it dies....... is that covered?

That was AMAZING....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404

omg ERIC !!
your GF spent that kinda money on a DOG ?

Premium Features