• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Liberty 700 twin top end rebuild questions

D
Sep 30, 2012
If you want to rebuild the top end on the Edge Liberty twin (700 is what I have) because it has a lot of miles and is losing power, do you have to replate the cylinders? It has not been burnt down and is still running.

I see that you can get a kit with pistons, clips and gaskets for about $200.

Any info and advise is appreciated!

G
Nov 26, 2007
calgary
rebuild

You should be ok with just putting new piston in. Make sure the cylinders arent scored deglaze them and install new pistons. You can do it right in the sled the motor does not need to come right out just the top end off

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
I just built a 'Doo 700 for a guy. The cylinder finish looked beautiful, not a hint of scoring or any scratches. However, there was enough wear on the cylinder to leave a VERY noticable ridge at the top of the cylinder. I explained this to my customer, and being as broke as the rest of us, he elected to run them as-is. However, there was noticeable piston clearance when assembled with new pistons. Anytime you have cylinders worn to that extent, you are going to have a decrease in performance...
So, in a nutshell, just because there is no scratches or scoring, it doesn't mean the cylinder is not worn out. Measure to be sure, and make an educated guess....

With my personal sleds, if the cylinder looks clean from the top of the exhaust port up, I RUN it, lol.....

Premium Features