• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice fishing help.........mn

S
Nov 1, 2008
Sabin MN
So Im new to ice fishing so Im a rookie, but my brother in law who is very seasoned is not. We fished all weekend (3 days) and only caught perch, and a buzz. It was fun but I was expecting more fish.......some northern or maybe a few walleye would have been great. It was not for lack of trying, we moved around, had a vexilar, used different baits and tip ups and probably drilled 100 holes over the weekend. Hell, we even speared for 3 hours and only saw a mud puppy and 2 perch. We even had the wives with for a while so we had alot of lines in the water( 2 per person). He is from N Dakota, Devils lake, Stump lake and Tolna dam are his native fishing waters and he said its never that slow. Anyways if anyone has any tips for ice fishing it would be greatly appreciated, you can only catch so many perch before that gets kinda boring, and no locals seam to wanna give any tips, "Yah fishings kinda slow right know" is about all they say. We are fishing Big Cormorant MN, but can pull the portable with the sleds to another lake if its close. THANKS

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Mwahhh mmmmaahh mhha wma womms wmmm!!!!!!

(translates to "you gotta keep the worms warm")!

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Gotta figure out when the feed bags are on and it will be pounding action.

If you get into big perch it is fun.

Otherwise tipups for pike and jigging for panfish.

Besides, everyone knows ice fishing is good for drinking.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Out here in Utah on the lake in front of me that is all the guys catch is perch.
Most of the time you can get your limit of 50 in one hour. One guy reeling one in said and a tiger muske ate one of the perch on his line/hook , that would be a little exciting on a ice fishing set up. (It did break/cut the line when it got to the hole.)
Try jigging a nymph fly, it is fun catching trout this way.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
In general terms:

fish at dusk till 1 hour after dark. Great panfish fishing.

Mid day fishing is tougher.......

Smaller jigs tipped with waxies or eurolarvae work well, and crappie minnows work sometimes as well.

If you get alot of lookers near the bottom, one thing I have had luck with is to drop your jig into the mud on the bottom, jig it just a little bit, then pull it off the bottom by a foot or so. You can get some to bite with that action.

I walk around the area that I am fishing when it is slow with my vexilar and a cup of water. Take the cup of water and pour it on the clean ice, then take the transducer and put it on the ice. It will shoot throught the ice without needing to drill holes.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
In general terms:

fish at dusk till 1 hour after dark. Great panfish fishing.

Mid day fishing is tougher.......

Smaller jigs tipped with waxies or eurolarvae work well, and crappie minnows work sometimes as well.

If you get alot of lookers near the bottom, one thing I have had luck with is to drop your jig into the mud on the bottom, jig it just a little bit, then pull it off the bottom by a foot or so. You can get some to bite with that action.

I walk around the area that I am fishing when it is slow with my vexilar and a cup of water. Take the cup of water and pour it on the clean ice, then take the transducer and put it on the ice. It will shoot throught the ice without needing to drill holes.

Why don't ya just hook, land and clean the fish for him! What are ya a damn Linder brother of the ice:face-icon-small-win

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I know what you mean. One of the guys I work with is a fishing nut with alot of photos and mounts that make a guy jealous, but try get any info and all you get is " I have to show you sometime."

S
Nov 1, 2008
Sabin MN
Thanks for the help, we got a new game plan to try this weekend. Move the tip ups to much shallower water 1-8 feet (pike) and try fishing 30 ft water at about 15 ft for crappies. Wax worms for crappies and some big ol minnows for the pike.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I know what you mean. One of the guys I work with is a fishing nut with alot of photos and mounts that make a guy jealous, but try get any info and all you get is " I have to show you sometime."

Well get out and have him show ya.

Part of the fun of fishing is figuring it out.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Thanks for the help, we got a new game plan to try this weekend. Move the tip ups to much shallower water 1-8 feet (pike) and try fishing 30 ft water at about 15 ft for crappies. Wax worms for crappies and some big ol minnows for the pike.

Good luck!!!

Here's a tip for ya, when the snow is melting off the ice and it's staying/getting warmer the bite is pretty fast paced at certain points on the lake....though you might need to be brave and have water proof boots.

I'll leave the rest to you guys to figure out.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So Im new to ice fishing so Im a rookie, but my brother in law who is very seasoned is not. We fished all weekend (3 days) and only caught perch, and a buzz. It was fun but I was expecting more fish.......some northern or maybe a few walleye would have been great. It was not for lack of trying, we moved around, had a vexilar, used different baits and tip ups and probably drilled 100 holes over the weekend. Hell, we even speared for 3 hours and only saw a mud puppy and 2 perch. We even had the wives with for a while so we had alot of lines in the water( 2 per person). He is from N Dakota, Devils lake, Stump lake and Tolna dam are his native fishing waters and he said its never that slow. Anyways if anyone has any tips for ice fishing it would be greatly appreciated, you can only catch so many perch before that gets kinda boring, and no locals seam to wanna give any tips, "Yah fishings kinda slow right know" is about all they say. We are fishing Big Cormorant MN, but can pull the portable with the sleds to another lake if its close. THANKS

You didn't drink enough beer while you were out there.

Premium Features