• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rebuilding 2006 700 Rmk Motor I have a few questions

M
Dec 15, 2007
My 06 700 seized with 890 miles the other day, I took off the head and the inside of the cylinder was sticky and so was the plug. It looked like to me that the head gasket blew and coolant went into the cylinder and seized it. I cleaned out the cylinders and oiled them, then when I pulled the pull cord the engine seemed to move freely. I still want to replace my rings and possibly clean any coolant out of the crank case. I am having trouble getting the cylinder off because of the injector that is bolted to the back of the motor, this bolt is super hard to get at. Anyone figure out how to undo that bolt?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
You're in deep

From what I've read on here, you need to pull the gas tank on these in order do the top end. To clean out the crank area you will need to pull the entire motor. From your comment about what kind of oil to put in the crank, it sounds as if you have no idea about how a two stroke engine works. I wish you the best, but I think you are in over your head

P

proflexbeast

motor rebuild

From what I've read on here, you need to pull the gas tank on these in order do the top end. To clean out the crank area you will need to pull the entire motor. From your comment about what kind of oil to put in the crank, it sounds as if you have no idea about how a two stroke engine works. I wish you the best, but I think you are in over your head
Wow what a way to make a person feel when he is down on luck with his machine. Grantbremer Im sure you were in the same boat that he is in right now when it came to tearing apart an engine in the past (if you even have).....or if you have, were you born right out of the box with engine rebuild knowledge? Thats great that Markdvorak is attempting to rebuild his motor. With today's economy more and more people cannot afford to send thier vehicles (or sleds) to the dealer or independant repair shop for repairs and they decide to do it themselves..... Ask all the questions you want Markdvorak there are alot of individuals on this forum with a weatlth of knowledge and support!

M
Dec 15, 2007
Thanks Man! Im just trying to figure it out, this is my first rebuild. Looks like I have to pull the whole engine to get into the crank. Is there anything I should know before removing the engine?

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
These engines are very easy to pull. I've done 2 of my 06 900's last year which are virtually the same engine as the 06 700. The motor mount pulls out with the motor, it has two bolts on each side that will need to be removed. I left my injectors attached to the motor, I just unplugged them and and seperated the lines and pulled them out complete with the motor. You will need to remove your seat and fuel tank, disconnect all your fuel lines, the throttle bodies can stay on. I left as much attatched to my motor as possible as it is easier to keep track of your parts that way.

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
Mark and Proflex.
I meant no offense. I've been following '05-'06 RMK's on here for 6 months and I've read a lot of posts where people have opened a huge can of worms with these things (i.e. Dogmeat). Mark, I would spend a day searching every post I could and then if you haven't found the '05 manual on those posts, I think Mule would gladly send it to you. It's not the exact same machine but you'll at least get a close idea. Be really carefull with all of your wiring- electrical issues lead to drinking problems.

P

proflexbeast

Mark and Proflex.
I meant no offense. I've been following '05-'06 RMK's on here for 6 months and I've read a lot of posts where people have opened a huge can of worms with these things (i.e. Dogmeat). Mark, I would spend a day searching every post I could and then if you haven't found the '05 manual on those posts, I think Mule would gladly send it to you. It's not the exact same machine but you'll at least get a close idea. Be really carefull with all of your wiring- electrical issues lead to drinking problems.
I understand GB i have been keeping up on the problems that others have been having with thier 05-06 900 rmk's too!.... i own a 06' 700 (755) and am very glad that i have not had issues such as we all have read. Seems like even the newer 08-09 are having thier problems also.

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
Markdvorak-

I have the exact same issue with my 06 755 now. Siezed up last weekend and when I pulled the head it was super sticky as well as the jug. Piston, rings, and crank seem to be all good and turn over great after they were cleaned. Give me an update where you are at. I am thinking of just new headgaskets to get a couple more rides in this year.

Thanks

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
I pulled mine apart this morning. I would recomend pulling the motor out as it will save you a major headace. I pulled the tank and the injector controller and still could not get at the allen screws holding the injectors in very well. I then pulled the rear mounting bolts so the engine could be tipped up and could get in there to get the top one out on the pto side. Long story short it is probly faster and a lot less stressfull if you pull the whole motor. After looking mine over the crank is starting to separate on the pto stub and is rubbing against the side of the case. I had heard the 755's were better, but here is another crank issue to the pile of others! Let me know if you need any pointers being I just went throught the tear down.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Nice, thanks alot duece. just started the process of pulling the motor. Whats the best way to get to those front 2 motor mounts? on the throttle bodies do you just undo the hose clamps or should I undo all the screws that go into the block

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the front motor mounts will remain bolted on t he front motor mount plate...take the 4 bolts off the SIDE of teh plate..2 in front of your primary clutch, 2 on the side next to your exhaust can..

pull plate out attached to the motor..

you can leave th throttle bodies attached to the engine when removing..your call..try and leave as much assembled when its pulled..will alleveate confusion later..

becareful when removing bolts on your reeds, i broke one in the block and i barely wrenched on it..just be carefuel with the wiring as well..TAKE YOUR TIME..

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
Got the engine out time to rebuild it, thanks for the help all

Becarefull with the cheap pistons like wiesco. I would recomend polaris pistons and rings. Sounds like you are just ineed of rings however. Good luck with your rebuild. Two strokes are rather simple and fun to work on. PM if you have questions.

Premium Features