• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shop Air Compressor?

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Any suggestions on an air compressor for my home shop? I'll be using it for: simple griding, changing tires, light cutting. Nothing fancy.

Do I really need a 60 gal or is a 25 enough

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had a 30gal Craftsman for 5 years, did the job but rattled my brain when it ran (and it ran often) but it did the job. Die grinder would keep it running a lot.

I went to a Husky 60gal 240v job when that one blew up and I'm glad I did. I rebuilt the old one and gave it to my dad so he had something bigger to use.

S
Jan 1, 2005
Cedar Rapids, Ia.
As stated before, go with as big as your budget will allow. Any low volume or painting won't require much, but once you start grinding for any length of time or use any type of tool that spins alot of rpm your gonna wish you had more. If you think your ever going to sand blast, better consider a 2 stage with a 60/80 gallon tank. Better to spend a little more up front, then find out you wish you had it to begin with when your in the middle of something.
I've had a Quincy QT5 for 14 years, never regretted it.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I have a little 10 gal for portability and a 60 Gal Husky for the shop. My 60 is still a single stage and if I had it to do over again I would have went to the dual stage. If your going to make the investment for a big one definitely go with the dual stage then you won't be left wishing you had gone bigger after the fact. Die Grinders, Sanders, air nibblers, cut-off wheels, ect all use a pile of air.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I'll chime in and plead ignorance here. What does the dual stage get you? I have not researched enough yet. Was looking at the CH 60 gal from Lowe's against the same only Husky at Home Depot. I use 1/2" impact and die grinder on average say 5 hours per week.

Thanks - sorry to poach.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The dual stage gets you air built back up quicker. If you run a da sander alot you will want one for sure. The home depot/lowes 60 gal single stage will do most everything a do it yourselfer needs. Sure, there are times I wish I had more. I had a 30 gal craftsman for 15 years and its still running after all these years. Lots of shop time and even painted a few trucks with it. I now have a 60 gal lowes compressor. The extra volume is sweet and the bigger compressor is quicker and quieter.

F

fassteddie

Nov 27, 2007
renton wa.
5 hp 2stg.17.8 scfm @150.p.s.i. should run a large hobby shop. units like this range from $1000. $1600. dont buy the $599 one its not made for cont. duty.

the cost diff between a micro and full size vert tank is only a couple to a few hundy, you will never be mad that your compressor only runs for a couple minutes to recover but you can never get your mini to make more air.

I have a 80gal 7.5 horse ingersoll commercial waiting to go into my new shop, I had it in my last one........it is killing me to have to wait for my little 20gal to fill a tire. my 80 always had the tank full, but a 20 gal will not top off a tire w/o running.

watch the ratings....mine is rated at 175psi, some are rated as low as 90

spend a bit more now, it is going to last longer by not running as much.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
What's griding?;);)

I have a 30gal Craftsman in my shop. It does ok but I wish I had a 60gal instead. It seems to use a ton of air, especially when I'm rotating the tires on my truck.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Air compressors are one place it's definitely worth it to go overboard as long as you have the electrical hookup.

I rebuilt a 1945 Curtis two stage compressor and have 19cfi @ 175 psi if I want. I run it at 120psi though. Fun project and it'll outlast me, easily.

The direct-drive noisy compressors that a lot of folks buy are toys for hobby use-only. Belt drive slow RPM compressors last longer and are a lot quieter. Specifically ones with a 1750rpm motor and less than 800rpm at the compressor.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I'll be the 20th to confirm the big tanks.

Seriously, this is all that does it for me, the NOISE!

Grind with a 30 gallon single stage for one day. Keep all firearms out of your reach though.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
belt drive 2 stage, what ever tank size makes you happy, cast iron only for lngevity, good brands are quincy, curtis, champion, ir ;

change oil once a year and check the level, i see more good compressor go by the way side because they are not even looked at never mind maintained??

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Oil lube units also tend to be belt driven rather than direct drive. The belt driven compressor motors turn slower rpm and tend to be quieter and last longer with the lower rpm.

Premium Features