• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

motor oil

B
Jan 8, 2016
Idaho
Im sure this has been talked to death about, but I wanted to get suggestions on which motor oil is the best to run in a turbo apex, ive heard alot of different things and honestly gets quite confusing. I was told I could use rotella t6 synthetic, but that is made for diesel applications, is it ok to use it?

B
Jan 8, 2016
Idaho
Ok, thanks for the reply, I want to use the best, cost is no concern as I dont want to use cheap oil that may shorten the life of my engine just to save a few bucks, im very strict on the service on everything I own.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Oil

I messed around with with both Rotella T6 (5w40 syn) and T5 (0W30) as well as Amsoil in our nytros (a stocker and turbo). Yamaha recommends APi SG and JASO MA specs which T6 does meet, T5 does not meet the JASO MA spec (which is a Japanese spec for wet clutches)

I found Amsoil on cold days would slip past my turbo seals and I would burn oil until warmed up.. I didn't like that and quickly dumped it out. Rotella seemed to work fine but I have since went back to 0w30 Yamalube..

A good friend of mine reminded me that there is more than just 'meeting spec' when it comes to power sports. We have to consider the one way starter sprag, and all the oil bathed electrical gear a sled has that diesels don't..

So long story short I'm back to yami oil (silver bottle 0w30).. I must admit it stays cleaner longer than the Rotella.. That said I went 2 years on Rotella without issue.

Sean

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
all I run is the rotella 5-40w synthetic T6 for diesels, It will meet or usually exceed all oil ratings, Sure its for "diesels" but it has more detergents in it to clean your oil and turbo and such as well as help deal with carbon better, I run it in everything, Street bike, truck, car, Dirtbike as well and never had an issue. it's a great oil for the price.

B
Jan 8, 2016
Idaho
Ok, thank you guys for the help, I really appreciate it. The only reason I asked about the rotella t6 is because I have that on hand in stock for our equipment. And since someone had suggested that particular one I figured it would work out if in fact I can use it. Again thank you for the help guys:thumb:

Premium Features