• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust valve cleaning on the Etec - How often?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A friend of mine is telling me that at 950 miles, I need to pull the exhaust valves and clean them. Part of this procedure is a re-learn of the RAVE position and will require dealer involvement.

Should I be concerned about this at the mileage I'm at? My sled is completely stock and I run the recommended oil from the dealer. I have no symptoms that would make me think I need to open this thing up, it just came up in conversation.

Thanks in advance.

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
The valves do a cleaning cycle when the machine is started up. I wouldn't worry about them until rebuild.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Blk88gt, whether or not you need to clean your etec raves is more dependent on your riding style than mileage. If you are an aggressive rider with lots of on off full throttle action you may never need to clean them. If you poke along the trail at part throttle most of the time you will need to clean frequently. Doo has a bulletin which has been posted here in the past which explains the reasoning for the above. I have 6000 miles on my first 800 etec and never cleaned the valves. Btw, if they stick or malfunction you will get a ck eng light and performance issues so if you have neither your probably wasting your time pulling them apart.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I use doo oil and after 5000 miles on my ptek i decided to check them out and were fine,no cleaning needed. .On my etec also use doo full synthetic and not even bothering to check unless at some point have rpm problems

Premium Features