• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'18 LightWeight Build

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Starting my list of lightweight parts but wanted to see what everyone else have thought of doing. Make a list of what you would do to your '18 and post it with weight the parts.

My list:
'18 MC parts list

-MVM belt drive -$995 w/ spare belt (8lbs)
-wrp seat -$375 0lbs
-trail tank -$375 4lbs
-mds weights/spring -$270 8hp
-BDX fit hood kit - $399 8lbs
-280 conquer track $1150 12lbs rotating
-alu drive shaft - $250 2lbs rotating(updated)
-diamond s can - $575 18lbs
-speedwerx handle kit- $269✔️1lb
-snow flap kit with led tail light -$80✔️2lbs
Total $4339
Minus 3" PC track @$950
New total $3389
55lbs lighter
16lbs of rotating weight

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^i agree, you could just port your claw like the conquer track for couple free pounds also.
BDX brake disc
ZRP Ti clutch cover bolts
Patricks Ti weight pins
remove the front bogies
gripper skis with Ti runners. just some more ideas for ya.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Weigh the complete sled before and after. I don't believe some of the weight loss that is advertised on some aftermarket products.

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
^i agree, you could just port your claw like the conquer track for couple free pounds also.
BDX brake disc
ZRP Ti clutch cover bolts
Patricks Ti weight pins
remove the front bogies
gripper skis with Ti runners. just some more ideas for ya.[/

Might as well try the 280, curious on it at this point.

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Weigh the complete sled before and after. I don't believe some of the weight loss that is advertised on some aftermarket products.

So are advertised but some are actually weights I know for sure. But I will be weighting before and after keep you posted.

Waiting for Skinz to finish the new Helium Kit before I pull the trigger on a hood kit.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
the Helium hood kit includes their exhaust can...
So compare MTN Fit hood and Diamond S combined weight loss to the Helium kit weight loss

D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
Based upon your list, I'd go with the can, clutching, belt drive, and gripper or mowhawk skis and call it a day. I've done all mentioned minus the clutching (to be determined).

In my opinion, the gains to be obtained by the remaining items are not feasible in realtion to the coin you will be shelling out.

Not only that, who's to say that there won't be better options later on down the road. New Cat has only been out for a little while and I think that due to rider reviews and popularity, there will be more aftermarket goodies as more units are sold in the upcoming year.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You might be curious about the 280 track, but there were a LOT of guys curious about it last year and they paid the price. Use the search and read some of the reviews before you go spending money on something that doesn't work. We did the research for you last year lol.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Waiting for Skinz to finish the new Helium Kit before I pull the trigger on a hood kit.

hopefully their hoods are better quality controlled than their windshield bags, I paid extra for the made in USA brand and just got burned- unacceptable Skinz!

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
You might be curious about the 280 track, but there were a LOT of guys curious about it last year and they paid the price. Use the search and read some of the reviews before you go spending money on something that doesn't work. We did the research for you last year lol.

So from my understanding the 280 doesn't work well down in the states with the super soft, light fluffy snow. Up here in AK we don't get a lot of that due to most the riding is 1000-5000 ft elevation. Our snow is heavy and wet most the time. A few guys have the 280 on 17/18 Axys and it performance very well over the stock Polaris track.

R
Feb 26, 2008
My 2 cents, I have 1000+ miles on my 280. I love it (now). At first it was too aggressive and dug a bit before it got up on plane. 500 miles later it took a set and i would say it works just like a 3" powerclaw. Maybe a bit more aggressive, needs track speed to get up on the snow like 2.6 does. Multiple situations where me and everyone else around was shaking their heads wondering why the sled kept going.

That being said, I wouldnt sell a 3" Claw to put one on. Turns out ten pounds on a track is completely unnoticeable when youre actually riding it.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
So from my understanding the 280 doesn't work well down in the states with the super soft, light fluffy snow. Up here in AK we don't get a lot of that due to most the riding is 1000-5000 ft elevation. Our snow is heavy and wet most the time. A few guys have the 280 on 17/18 Axys and it performance very well over the stock Polaris track.

It outperforms the stock Polaris tracks yes, but i had the Conquer track last season, and we have alot of wet and heavy snow here in Norway also. Did not like the track, to soft and would not get good grip. I have had Peak 2.5 and Challenger Extreme 2.5 before, and the they are far superior then the Conquer track. If i had to decide now, I would have got the Challenger extreme 3.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
My 2 cents, I have 1000+ miles on my 280. I love it (now). At first it was too aggressive and dug a bit before it got up on plane. 500 miles later it took a set and i would say it works just like a 3" powerclaw. Maybe a bit more aggressive, needs track speed to get up on the snow like 2.6 does. Multiple situations where me and everyone else around was shaking their heads wondering why the sled kept going.

That being said, I wouldnt sell a 3" Claw to put one on. Turns out ten pounds on a track is completely unnoticeable when youre actually riding it.

Exact same opinion I have of my 280. I think now that it is broke in it outperforms the powerclaw 3" the track just seriously hooks up. I can build up boost and launch out of basically any hole with the tiniest forward push. It definitely depends on snow conditions for heavy Alaskan snow you will definitely like it. But even as much as I like it I probably wouldn't pull a good 3" off to replace it with the 280. Just not worth the effort and coin for the minimal difference. Although I think on a non-boosted sled that difference may be greater.

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Premium Features