• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gripper Install on 16+ Spindle

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Durapro Dampeners

I edited my post above. Cat dampers is all I’ve used. Might be worth the added cost like you say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to Ryan of Durapro; Any plastic fabrications or filling of the voids on the Gripper ski drastically changes its flex & handling as well as the life of the ski dampeners ( SEE the thread in the AXXYS section) He claims to build a better/longer-lasting Polaris dampener! I have asked if he could make a dampener for AC spindles running the Gripper skis.:face-icon-small-coo

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
What I did to preserve ski rubber life for FREE

Took gripper skis, and cut the two ribs that hold the Polaris rubber in place out from the 'box' the ski rubber sets in. Get them relatively flat with the surrounding plastic, doesn't have to be 100% perfect

Go to Home Depot and pick up two sample pieces of their Stainmaster vinyl flooring with the underlayment built in (its the thicker stuff). Cut them to fit in the ski 'box'. Doesn't have to be exact, but moderately close.

Grind the nubs off the bottom of the Arctic Cat ski rubber, the pop it in the box.

Install ski as per above instructions.

The thickness is about perfect so you need just a bit of pry bar action to slide the bolt through. Not too lose, not too tight.

The flooring gives the rubber a completely flat surface to set on, and did I mention its free?
If you wanted to spend money on this, buy a piece of plastic the same thickness of the flooring, could last longer, could be a waste of time.

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
I used the stock 16 rubbers, install was a breeze but it seems like it wants to kick them out the back of the gripper boxed area. It hasn't came out yet but is a concern?????

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I had been using the 14-15 style and then decided to use the 16 style dampers last time. I have the same issue with them popping out. I'm going back to the 14-15 style next time and am going to go to Home Depot to try the vinyl flooring inserts.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
I had been using the 14-15 style and then decided to use the 16 style dampers last time. I have the same issue with them popping out. I'm going back to the 14-15 style next time and am going to go to Home Depot to try the vinyl flooring inserts.

Let me know how it works out for you. So far no issues with mine, but haven't put more than two rides on it.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
ProClimb 7 Ski on M8?

Just put Grippers on my '17 Mountain Cat. Would the ProClimb 7 take-off be a worthwhile replacement on my back-up sled, a '10 M8 153 with a 2.6 PC track??:juggle:

one wheeler peeler

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2013
What did you guys use to remove the ribs in the base of the ski that the rubber pad sits on? I am about to install a set of grippers on a 16 ltd. I have the 12-15 rubbers and spindle axles. I also picked up the vinyl underlayment.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
What did you guys use to remove the ribs in the base of the ski that the rubber pad sits on? I am about to install a set of grippers on a 16 ltd. I have the 12-15 rubbers and spindle axles. I also picked up the vinyl underlayment.

A Dremal tool was what I was going to use, then decided not to mod the ski saddle in my new Grippers, as others on here haven't either. Seems the main reason for doing so is to increase the life of the rubber ski dampeners & the AC ones seem to outlast the Polaris ones. I can change inexpensive dampeners if/when needed rather than make an irreversible mod on a new set of skis that may actually change the way the ski was designed to function. In the Axys forum I had this discussion with an engineer for Durapro who has designed a state of the art dampener for the Polaris owners & he more/less stated such. A good read in the Poo section! :face-icon-small-coo

one wheeler peeler

Premium Member
Mar 18, 2013
So Mountaincat1, you just laid the 12-15 rubbers on top of the ribs in the gripper skis? I'll check into the poo forum for additional info.

Thanks...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Just take a razor and cut the row of rubber nubs off the bottom of the rubber were it meets the ribs on the ski. 1 row in on each side.

Premium Features