• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 m8000 tki belt drive.

S

Sledneck_1987

Dec 9, 2007
I'm trying to decide if ill get a belt drive this year. what to hear from guys that are running them and is their a noticeable difference? and what do you notice ?

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
2013 925BB here with TKI belt drive. Quicker to rev and feels smoother on and off the throttle. Already had oil delete so it was a quick change over. Best part is I can throw a new belt on and be riding in 10min. No backcountry break downs because of a chain.

R
Just installed a C3 Powersports on my 14 HCR. Sure seems a lot more responsive and totally different. Weight loss is exactly what C3 claimed. I weighed everything to confirm, huge difference.
Can't wait to try it. Very impressed!!!!
Took about 5 hours to install.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Belt drive.

I've got a C3 belt drive on my 2016 Boost-it turboed M800 LTD.
Love it. Sled is lighter and more responsive.
Plan is to add a 174" track and rear suspension next.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a few Cat kits in stock. They are TKI and expect that the price might be pretty good for US buyers as the US/CDN exchange rate is really in your favor.

PM me if you are interested and include your address so I can work out a delivered price. Also the year and exact model of your sled.

We have kits for all 2 stroke brands.

Chris

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I put a TKI on my 16 limited 162 right at the end of the year last year. My brother has a 2014 snopro 162 that is set up well that we always use as a base sled to test against so we aren't making judgement calls or seat of the pants feel so we know what our clutching and gearing changes actually do.

Before the belt drive on the hard pack or not much powder the 2014 was much faster racing up a hill then my 16 top end. Bottom end on the 16 was much better but the 14 would come by it racing up a hill. In the deep powder my 16 could out climb the 14 without a problem. All of this is to be expected with 7 tooth driver on the 16 and the 16 having a 3" vs 2.6" on the 14. Belt life was incredible on the 16. I havent had a sled since 1993 that ran so consistent day in day out. Plus I put over 600 miles on my first belt of hard mountain riding without ever a drop in RPM. I couldnt have been happier with the 16 but wondered if there was more to be had.

Got the TKI belt drive with the recommended gears and reclutched. The sled was an absolute roach. I lost significant amounts of top end and had no bottom end at all. The 14 would destroy my 16 in every condition. Played around with set up for a few rides and made it a little better but not as good as stock. Got sick of playing around with the higher gears and went back to what was nearly the stock gear ratio with the TKI and the clutching I had with the chain case. Within the first mile of the truck I knew that the TKI was money well spent. With the lower gears (same ratio as stock) I picked up substantial amounts of top end. The 14 couldn't come close to keeping up on top end. My bottom end was back and RPM was consistent once again. In a steep powder climb it went from a butt kicking over the 14 to absolute humiliation. I couldn't be happier with the TKI kit now. I know there will be many people that say you have to gear them up with the 7 tooth drivers but I couldn't be happier with my "stock" gear ratio on the TKI. More top end, smoother bottom end and consistent RPM day in and day out. IMHO don't listen to some on hear that don't think you can turn any track speed and you need to gear them up. You can get the track speed you need as is, plus not have to fight with inconsistent RPM and crappy belt life.

After gearing the TKI back down to stock I couldnt be happier.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
What other (if any) mods do you have? What kind of riding do you do? Although a belt drive is a nice upgrade, it's not the first thing I'd do to a stock sled. I've been very happy with my MVM belt drive. Also have many friends with C3 and TKI. They all work very well.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
What other (if any) mods do you have? What kind of riding do you do? Although a belt drive is a nice upgrade, it's not the first thing I'd do to a stock sled. I've been very happy with my MVM belt drive. Also have many friends with C3 and TKI. They all work very well.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Not the first one I would do either.

Cutler can, complete clutching set up of my own using Cutler weights, I hate MDS weights. Tried for a year to get a set up with them that was better than my Cutler set up and never could. Once again real life testing against a base line sled not seat of the pants feel. Gripper Skis, shocks, a few light weight things. A few other little secret things. The sled works for me and the way I ride which is all I care about.

I spend 90% of my time in the trees or where ever the deepest powder happens to be. The tighter and steeper the trees the better. I dont mind climbing an occasional hill when the snow is safe but that is becoming less and less of my time each year. I ride mainly in Logan canyon and up into the Idaho canyons along bear lake because i have family in Bear Lake. Also ride Afton 4 or 5 times a year when the snow is better up there.

I would have bought the MVM kit because they are local but they wont let you swap gears if you don't like what you got. Tom will let you swap for free and that is what made me get the TKI. To get a new gear from MVM is $300+. Just seemed like cheap insurance because I wasnt positive of the gearing I wanted. Turned out to be the right decision for me. Tom was also very helpful during the install to answer questions because honestly the instructions were a little unclear the way I interpreted them. They could be perfectly clear to other people though. I learned long ago that I dont think like a regular person :face-icon-small-hap

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
If staying with stock gearing, will adding a belt drive require more or less weight in the primary clutch? No other changes, just the belt drive.

Premium Features