• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-START NOT WORKING (HELPLEASE)

T
Jan 3, 2008
nelson bc
my buddy has a 2013 xm e start only. about 2000 miles on it. when he hits the e start button you hear a (CLICK), but it don't do nothing. we tried hitting the starter, wiggling the wires, tightening, the battery connections. the battery is good. what else can it be??

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
how many volts at battery. next hook the volt meter to ground and then to the big lug on the starter. hold the start button. how many volts are you showing? my guess is the starter went bad.

T
Jan 3, 2008
nelson bc
broken bolt

getting 12.4 at the battery and the bolt on the starter when I hit the button. we found the big bolt that holds the starter to the block is broken. I'm guessing that is causing a bad ground. now to get the broken bolt out.:face-icon-small-fro

N
Nov 8, 2013
Similar Issue ??

Same thing going on with mine after this weekend. Shut off the sled and pulled on the kill switch, sled started on it's own. It did that 4-5 times until I hit the starter button again and then it was ok. Next morning pushed on the starter and nothing happened, pushed it a few more times and then click click and then it starts. If I ride it seems to start ok but leave it for some time it starts all over again??

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
Newfie Bullet, what did your problem end up being? I was having similar issue 2 weeks ago on my 2013 XM. It came and went with the whole deal where it starts when you pull up the kill switch.

Rode again yesterday and it started doing it again about mid day. Then, on the trail on the way home I stopped for a minute waiting on others and it wouldn't start back up. You hear the button clicking and that's it. Had to use the emergency rope to get it going. Still not working today.

Today I took the switch off and looked inside. Doesn't look corroded or anything. Not sure what the deal is.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I had the same intermittent start issue with my e/s 13 xm. The starter develops an intermittent open and will not crank. On mine a new starter cured the problem. The starter solenoid/relay is easily bypassed (short across terminals with a screw driver). If starter is ok and solenoid defective it will crank. If it still will not crank either starter or connections.

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
Dooman92, you were absolutely right.

For those later searching this because they had the same problem, I was able to start by shorting the starter relay (the thing with the posts by the battery on the Summit). Changed out the starter relay and it now works. Fortunately the relay is relatively low cost (under $50).

M

mocflats

Jan 21, 2009
Not sure if it's the same issue I was having but I could open the panel and rotate the primary clutch back a bit and hit the button again and it will start

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Sometimes I’ll hit the starter button and I’ll hear the starter spinning but she won’t engage into the flywheel.
Any thoughts on that?

I just grab my pull start and continue along my way and most of the time the next it works fine thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Sometimes I’ll hit the starter button and I’ll hear the starter spinning but she won’t engage into the flywheel.
Any thoughts on that?

I just grab my pull start and continue along my way and most of the time the next it works fine thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirt some wd40 on the shaft where the drive gear slides. They get sticky, then when the starter engages it does not throw out like it should. This will fix it. I usually doo it at least once a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S
Mar 12, 2008
Hermiston OR
No start

2016 Xm same prob last year intermittent e start to no start (won’t happen again rope pull installed) local dealer warrantied as the bolts backed out on starter which happen to be ground for starter. The bolts hold starter on primary to spin fly wheel. They tested everything they could test finally replaced bolts on starter and fixed the gremlin. Just my exp and 300 for rope pull worth the money spent even if hidden behind panel to never use again.

Premium Features