• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 getting pulled out

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
alright, i got low compression 115psi on mag 128 psi on pto (hot). i blew another belt today at full throttle :mad:. so i sent indydan an email about it i was looking into the cranks he has. gona cost alot but i better do it right the first time so i dont have to do it twice :D. Im gona post pics and stuff as i go. As for the blow belt i must have a broken mount engine looks like it moves alot when idling. so if you have any tips or anything for me that would be great. First time pulling an engine out first rebuild to. Im only 16 so it would help alot, if you guys got any tips. BTW its got 5075 miles!!!!!:eek:

Thanks alot.

Justin.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Find the 2005 deep snow shop manual to download in one of the sticky's at the top of the 900 section, there as some differences between the 05 and the 06 if yours is an 06 but for the most part its the same.
There's too much involved to write up a step by step but you have a group of great and 900 smart guys at your disposal here when you run into problems!:beer;:)

While your engine is out:
-Compfusions motor mounts
-grade 8 bolts on all engine mounting locations
-oil injection cable fix

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Jeez, if you've blown more than one belt at full throttle and the snout of your crank is still attached, why change it out? Sounds like you've got one of the good ones...

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
i didnt even get a shop manual, with it. its an 05, and the compfusion mounts is it both mounts?

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Jeez, if you've blown more than one belt at full throttle and the snout of your crank is still attached, why change it out? Sounds like you've got one of the good ones...

ive blown about 6 belts atleast two full throttle, i dont wanna rebuild it and go through all the trouble of taking it out, and then to have the crank let go. plus its got over 5000 miles thats alot.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Better get a shop manual. And a clutch alignment tool and learn how to use it. When I first got mine also I didn't have an alignment tool and blew a belt, then the crank ripped off. Figured it was due to alignment problems and was lucky it was still under warranty, plus got the new thicker taper crank. Now have the alignment tool and no blown belts and machine runs better now.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
ive blown about 6 belts atleast two full throttle, i dont wanna rebuild it and go through all the trouble of taking it out, and then to have the crank let go. plus its got over 5000 miles thats alot.

Missed the part about the mileage...wish I got to ride that much:D So what's Dan's turnaround time?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

YIKES!!!

I'd be interested to know what the runout looks like on that sucker. With 5,000 miles and that many blown belts you definitely got one of the good cranks!:eek::D

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Buy a lotto ticket..!

i didnt even get a shop manual, with it. its an 05, and the compfusion mounts is it both mounts?

Sounds like you have great luck. Losing a belt when the 9 is making power is never a good thing. You'll do well to go with indydans bottom end. like most things about the 9, they are an investment but if you plan to keep it they can be good.
My kit, btw, replaces both front engine mounts. The rears do ok since polaris added the displacement limiting washer to control side movement.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Better get a shop manual. And a clutch alignment tool and learn how to use it. When I first got mine also I didn't have an alignment tool and blew a belt, then the crank ripped off. Figured it was due to alignment problems and was lucky it was still under warranty, plus got the new thicker taper crank. Now have the alignment tool and no blown belts and machine runs better now.

i dont see what your trying to say? that i dont know how to use one? i do have one and the alingment is good, if theres a broken mount that doesnt help.

compfusion what is pricing? thats one thing i am looking into for this sled.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Yea i do ride alot last year i put 1600 miles on her. Ive read alot about the 9's suprised mines last this long, i think it was babyed before me cause it was mint, not saying i ride it hard, and im not saying i baby it L O L. I use it, not abuse it. Also any one know what the part number is for the wrist pin for 06 pistons? on partsland it doesnt show.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
i dont see what your trying to say? that i dont know how to use one? i do have one and the alingment is good, if theres a broken mount that doesnt help.

compfusion what is pricing? thats one thing i am looking into for this sled.

I'm sorry, didn't think you had one since you said you blew 6 belts. Figured the mount might have broken due to misalignment. I just finished getting mine back in and around the throttle body is not very much room to do the nuts for the cables for taking off and putting back on. Would be a lot easier with the throttle cables someone on here sells. Never get a chance to get 1 yet though. Wishing I did before I did the engine. Mounts were good yet so before next summer I got to get me a set of compfusions mounts also.If you haven't already good idea to get the slp mounts on there. Good luck witht he rebuild.:beer;

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
alright thanks, I talked to dan today, had to man up and call him. LOL i have a real hard time talking on the phone, seems like a real nice guy deffinetly knows what hes doing. This weekend im gona pull that beaster out, or at least try to, man i need that furnace running! its cold out.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
kinda at a wall here, i dont have enough money for one of dan's cranks, so what i might do is rebuild the top end, buy a new clutch and get compfusions mounts for this year to get me by. im starting tomorow so ill show you what it looks like. if the cylinders are a little scored what do i do?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Another option since you need a clutch also, is the 32mm crankshaft kit from Polaris. This is the route I went. Got it for $1,150.00 CDN. Kit comes with new 32 mm crankshaft, primary clutch and mounting bolt, belt, most gaskets and seals, and wrist pin bearings (I misled you in my previous post - wrist pin bearings didn't come with the piston kits, they came with the crank kit).

For about $1,800 CDN, I got the crank kit, two piston kits, four new motor mounts, torque stop, fuel filter, two throttle body adapters, four injector o-rings and the exhaust valve gaskets.

Last edited:
I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Not trying to be an A$$ ...I would double check the compression with another (good quality) gauge, just to be sure of your compression numbers.
A few years ago I almost spent 2000.00 for parts to rebuild a yamaha triple because of the compression gauge I was using gave me very low readings.
A (snap-on) gauge gave me readings that were within normal specs.
After I decided not to rebuild the engine I rode it hard for at least another 8rides before I sold it and I think this sled is still running.

Premium Features