• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

166 track questions

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
i have read up on this a lot and haven't forund all the answers. how does the 166 hold up to porting. was thinking 2 holes down the center. just curious how much it streches. being the 166 i dont want it to stretch past the limits of the track adjusters, just looking for some input. porting the sides of the track, does this make them bend up and rub on the sides of the hifax when sidehilling? might just do 2 in the center but also wouldnt mind doing the sides aswell. usualy ride 18-20 km of trail to get to the hills and would like to throw a bit more snow to the cooler on the lower snow days. not to mention the recovery when i sink it on the hill ;)

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I know the 166 has issues with high speeds so if it were me I wouldnt port the track. I have been reading about alot of guys going the other direction now and not doing this to any track let alone one with known issues. JMO.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I agree with Himark, I have never been a fan of porting. IMO over the years it has only shown to take rigidity out of the paddles and cause them to bend over more under power.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I have no plans to port the track on my 900, however, I did port the 156" Camo Challenger on my '01 800 RMK a few years back. The porting definitely helped evacuate the snow out of the skid. This was great in the powder, but not so good on the trail. Even running scratchers at all times on the trail, my hyfax life was shortened significantly after porting, likely because it worked too well at clearing the snow from the skid. I won't do it again.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I ported my 166, 2 right next to each other down the center, i never ride trails unless im on north fork or something, no problems, i also have a 151 ported with three holes down the center also no problems, i believe it has helped, it has not messed with my hyfax, i have zero issues when i do ride on trails, you pretty much NEED ice scratchers on a 166 anyway to keep it cool so holes or no holes your running a mtn machine on the tails, hyfax will heat up on any long track running trails. Just my thoughts, i like it!

Grant

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
still on the fence with this. when does the 166 rip its self apart? 80mph? 70? 60? thanks for the info. I guess you need to know the faults before you can upgrade :face-icon-small-hap

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I've had my sled going pretty darn fast, and my track has not stretched, i still have all the lugs. Granted Mtn tracks are only rated for a certain MPH, not sure what it is. I don't race it so im not worried!

M
Dec 5, 2007
Chehalis, WA
I ported my first 166 3-1 1/4" holes on each row. Yes it did evacuate the snow better but started ratching after that. It only trimmed les than 2.5# of weight. Imo it a waste of time

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
still on the fence with this. when does the 166 rip its self apart? 80mph? 70? 60? thanks for the info. I guess you need to know the faults before you can upgrade :face-icon-small-hap

The story I have always heard was that you dont want to take the 166 above 70MPH and HOLD it there for a length of time.... little spurts are fine tho.

As far as the porting, I have not done it to my track, my friend has his ported with 3 holes in the middle and only had to tighten the track once in 2200 miles, so no issues. Also, his sled seems to run about 10* cooler on the trail than mine does... not sure if that could be related or not, but thought I would mention it.:beer;

P

Powderpair

Dec 21, 2008
Grand Junction CO.
Had no problems

I ported mine with 3 1 1/4 holes two years ago and had no problems. IMO it does clear allot faster on the powder. I always run scratchers on the trail.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
JUST DO IT --- I am going to Port mine

I did 3 Edges ' (2 ) 151's and a 159 they run cooler and clear better.

Got thousands of miles on them.

Seems the WPS 1 1/4 porting tool ( 30.00 ) is the ticket now.

We used a 1" hole saw ground down back in the day.

picture.php

Premium Features