• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

running lean

W
Dec 29, 2008
hey guys just got my 05 900 rmk going from a top end rebuild. took it out for a bit and pulled the plugs they look a little white to me. i am used to running carb sleds and these cfi burn clean. it has a timberland intake and a slp pipe and can any ways to tell if im running lean?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
the timbersled intake shouldnt matter, i have lots of miles with mine

check your oil pump arm alignment down under the throttle bodies and did you get your ecu reflashed for the slp pipe?

W
Dec 29, 2008
i bought the sled with the pipe on it, so i dont know if it was reflashed. the oil pump is set right on and i do have a little oil in the gas since i just rebuilt the engine.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I've had the same issue right after a rebuild, i cleaned out exhaust bellows and put on a new fuel filter, i will let you know tomorrow after i take a ride.

Grant

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
I am running lean as well on my 05 900 I just put in the Fire and Ice air intake and the headlight vent intake maybe more air coming in then my SLP set up running more towards the lean side.
I have a Boondockers control box / NOS system the box had been disconnected during the rebuild, ( by previous owner) however thinking of hooking it up again to tweak the Air/Fuel is anyone running this set up and what numbers on the box as a start point?
Guido are you running your control box this year on the 9 and when you went to the F&I did you have to adjust the numbers? Dave

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
I am running lean as well on my 05 900 I just put in the Fire and Ice air intake and the headlight vent intake maybe more air coming in then my SLP set up running more towards the lean side.
I have a Boondockers control box / NOS system the box had been disconnected during the rebuild, ( by previous owner) however thinking of hooking it up again to tweak the Air/Fuel is anyone running this set up and what numbers on the box as a start point?
Guido are you running your control box this year on the 9 and when you went to the F&I did you have to adjust the numbers? Dave

honestly, an intake and exhaust should not lean you out that much

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i honesttly havent looked at the plugs closely..i was running the same numbers as last year on the box and then tried out the NGK plugs last week and chucked the champions before i checked them..

then i zero'd the box to check it..i ran some oil in the gas (16oz/tank) last week like indydan reccomended..ran great but fouled a plug..replaced them and stopped using oil in gas..still ran great but didnt check plugs yet...

the mag side is always leaner then the pto..so watch that plug closely..but piston wash is WAY MORE IMP and more accurate then a plug..

i am leaving town again in the morning so i will check it out next week..

sorry i cant be of more help..if u can afford it..a power commander can adjust fuel mapping on 1 cylinder or both unlike the boondockers that only does both at once..the mag side is 3% leaner usually

W
Dec 29, 2008
well i bought this sled with a melted mag side rebuilt it ran it and it rips but the plugs look alittle white to me went to polaris dealer and asked them to hook it up and see if the previous owner had it flashed for the slp pipe and they told me that it doesnt need a flash for that pipe but before i went to them i called slp and they said its a must. I told the dealer that so they called slp and they also told the dealer its a must. they couldnt flash it till next week so i put my stock pipe on and now the mag side looks perfect.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
well i bought this sled with a melted mag side rebuilt it ran it and it rips but the plugs look alittle white to me went to polaris dealer and asked them to hook it up and see if the previous owner had it flashed for the slp pipe and they told me that it doesnt need a flash for that pipe but before i went to them i called slp and they said its a must. I told the dealer that so they called slp and they also told the dealer its a must. they couldnt flash it till next week so i put my stock pipe on and now the mag side looks perfect.

Doesn't matter if it is carbed or efi, check your plugs same way.

If the dealer doesn't know much about the 900 I would find one that knows these machines real good. Heard too many horror stories on other sites that had dealers mess up there machines because the dealer wasn't familiar with these sleds.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM

WOW! If this dealer does not know about the reflash for SLP pipes etc. RUN AWAY! FAST! find a better one even if it means driving when you have to. If you can read/wrench a bit all the info you need is on this site . Of course the reflash is a dealer only thing. I drive 200 mi each way when I need somthing like that done.:beer;

I would say if the reflash isn't the problem try a fuel filter and check the pressure from the pump. Good luck!

I do believe the dealer is able to see a history of reflashs that have been performerd on your sled through the digital wrench website.

Last edited:
W
Dec 29, 2008
ya the dealer said they never reflashed these sleds for slp but now the know it needs to be done and my sled will be flashed on wednesday. There going to call polaris and see what flash it needs.

Premium Features