• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running temps

P
Feb 22, 2009
So today it was like 1-2celcius which i think is like 35 or so F. Just wondering what kind of temps i should expect when running wet heavy packed snow.

I was showing like 140 or so and then running road for awhile i would get up to like 155-160 which seemed high? but just wondering.

I have the FNI intake and no extra venting

thanks

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Your fine. The air temp doesn't have as much effect as the snow conditions... If I'm in a spot that I think I may get above 150 for a while I will throw my scratchers down, but 150 is still perfectly fine for the motor... your ideal temp is 126 but the motor can handle up to 180 safely... above that and it will lose performance, once you get up to 200 you are getting into the danger zone and if you do not stop and cool it down, the timing will retard and it will cut power... essentially a "limp mode".

:beer;

We were running today in rain down low and then heavy wet snow up high and once we finally got into the snow I was running about 140-150. Once the snow started packing in and had a chance to cool the sled back to 126, I was running that all the rest of the day.

Last edited:
P
Feb 22, 2009
well this is good to know because i was stopping yesterday when it started to heat up to like 160 and letting it cool. I didnt really see it go any higher then that

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Mine runs 126 all day with the scratchers down.. Hit the trail with them up and start seeing 140's..

R
Nov 20, 2009
160 is fine, just run in some side snow when you can to cool it, I was runnin' here in Mich. and did the same thing, I have pipe, vents, reeds, and clutching and beatin' on it. You should see it go down just get over 30 and get some air and loose snow. But if you can throw some vents in it soon!
VENT,VENT,VENT! It frickin' works!

Premium Features