• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shot not working on first ride

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Hey Guys, I am new to this 2018 850. I have been on an Axis the last 3 years, so thanks for you input. I took my sled out yesterday to get some break-in miles and time on it. The shot does not work but makes a noise when pushing the button. The noise is a slight hum. I have not seen much posted regarding the shot but how awesome it is and no real issues. If you have any suggestion feel free to let me know.
The nice thing is this sled starts first pull every time. However the recoil did not engage 2 times while riding yesterday. I had to pull the starter rope out several times to get it to engage. Now if the shot was working it would not be as much of an issue but i do not want rely on the shot if I have an issue with the recoil. Any thoughts?
I think with only 2 hours on this machine that the dealer needs to have a look.

Thanks for the help

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Sounds like your starter is working but not engaging with the cluth. Tap the starter. Had this happen on my '14. Sprayed some lubricant on it and it's worked fine since.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Are you just tapping the button or are you holding it down?

What he said. The button is janky and shot has to first turn the cylinders over to a certain spot. Then it gives itself a SHOT of electricity and fires up the sled. Try pushing the button down hard and holding it for a second or two. If it doesn’t start you should here the crank rotating to get it self to the starting point. Let off the button hold it down for a second or two again and it should start. If it doesn’t it needs love from the dealer.
If you wear thick gloves make sure the button is actually getting depressed not just making a dent in the glove.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
There was a few shot capacitors that had to get warrantied last season for not working.

If you get it to the dealer to be looked at, obviously have them fix the recoil while there.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Hey Guys, I am new to this 2018 850. I have been on an Axis the last 3 years, so thanks for you input. I took my sled out yesterday to get some break-in miles and time on it. The shot does not work but makes a noise when pushing the button. The noise is a slight hum. I have not seen much posted regarding the shot but how awesome it is and no real issues. If you have any suggestion feel free to let me know.
The nice thing is this sled starts first pull every time. However the recoil did not engage 2 times while riding yesterday. I had to pull the starter rope out several times to get it to engage. Now if the shot was working it would not be as much of an issue but i do not want rely on the shot if I have an issue with the recoil. Any thoughts?
I think with only 2 hours on this machine that the dealer needs to have a look.

Thanks for the help

Did you steal my sled? Exact thing I just took mine into the dealer for. Shot didn't work from new, would make a high pitched sound though. I didn't worry about it until pull cord failed twice last trip.

Took mine to the dealer and they said shot works fine and they couldn't replicate the pull cord issue so they didn't do anything. I don't know wtf but the shot works now.

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Did you steal my sled? Exact thing I just took mine into the dealer for. Shot didn't work from new, would make a high pitched sound though. I didn't worry about it until pull cord failed twice last trip.

Took mine to the dealer and they said shot works fine and they couldn't replicate the pull cord issue so they didn't do anything. I don't know wtf but the shot works now.
Took into the dealer today. They hooked the computer up 3 different times. The first 2 times did not work. The third time they got an alignment error code. It gave an option to realign. And now my shot works.
As for the recoil, I had the service department file a claim so its noted in the sleds history.
The service techs said this was the first time they've seen a shot not work. They said that the only work they have done on them is to replace them after someone hits a tree with that side of the sled. Otherwise they have had no problems.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed that our sleds do not eat belts!

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT

I would take your sled back to the dealer if it is a 2019, there is a service bulletin for the 2019 850 ski doo pull starter not engaging.

Rewind Starter Not Engaging at Operating Temperature bulletin 2019-5

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
I should have mentioned that my sled is holdover 2018.
It did get the updated motor mounts and secondary spring installed. I also ordered the new vent kit for the clutch side panel as well.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Took into the dealer today. They hooked the computer up 3 different times. The first 2 times did not work. The third time they got an alignment error code. It gave an option to realign. And now my shot works.
As for the recoil, I had the service department file a claim so its noted in the sleds history.
The service techs said this was the first time they've seen a shot not work. They said that the only work they have done on them is to replace them after someone hits a tree with that side of the sled. Otherwise they have had no problems.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed that our sleds do not eat belts!

Interesting, I imagine my dealer did the same thing to fix my shot and didn't even realize or didn't want to tell me for some reason.

Did you happen to buy yours in Sublimity? I picked mine up there in February, wondering maybe if ours came off the assembly line together.

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Interesting, I imagine my dealer did the same thing to fix my shot and didn't even realize or didn't want to tell me for some reason.

Did you happen to buy yours in Sublimity? I picked mine up there in February, wondering maybe if ours came off the assembly line together.

I purchased here in Bend. Is your a 2018 or 2019?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Glad to hear your dealer figured it out.

On my 2018 my shot was working last season but did not seem to be working as good as my buddy who also has an '18. I kind of put it off and said ehhhh I must be being too critical of it. Then I came back to the web and heard some rumors about a software update for this reason.

Well had the opportunity to bring it to the dealer and have them plug it in. So I did.

They should know how to make the buds system work, it needs 12 volts for the computer program to recognize it is plugged in to the sled. Brights off, hand warmers off, or else those items steal voltage.

Also learned that this update can not be determined by just calling your dealer and having them run your VIN. It needs to be plugged into BUDs 2 in order for them to see if your sled needs an update.

To my understanding, only SOME 2018s need this. Turns out mine did.

Yet to see if the update fixed the problem. Will know on the 17th. Other rumor was that if they were ran too long without getting this update sooner rather than later, the capacitors would go out, requiring a replacement.

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Glad to hear your dealer figured it out.

On my 2018 my shot was working last season but did not seem to be working as good as my buddy who also has an '18. I kind of put it off and said ehhhh I must be being too critical of it. Then I came back to the web and heard some rumors about a software update for this reason.

Well had the opportunity to bring it to the dealer and have them plug it in. So I did.

They should know how to make the buds system work, it needs 12 volts for the computer program to recognize it is plugged in to the sled. Brights off, hand warmers off, or else those items steal voltage.

Also learned that this update can not be determined by just calling your dealer and having them run your VIN. It needs to be plugged into BUDs 2 in order for them to see if your sled needs an update.

To my understanding, only SOME 2018s need this. Turns out mine did.

Yet to see if the update fixed the problem. Will know on the 17th. Other rumor was that if they were ran too long without getting this update sooner rather than later, the capacitors would go out, requiring a replacement.

This is all great info and makes sense. I am now not totally certain that my shot is totally fixed. I know for a fact that my bright lights were on as well as my hand warmers when the sled was hooked up to the computer. I am not sure if the Buds 2 was used but will give the tech the benefit of the doubt. The digital gauge was reading 10 -11 and now i am wondering if it should have been reading 12 and this is why it failed the first 2 times.

I plan to put some break in miles on it this weekend and will be using the shot every opportunity I have to make sure it is working.

Thanks for the info. I feel as though the riders that spend time on the machines are much more knowledgeable than the service techs we rely on. Next time I am at the dealer I will be sure to have a chat with the tech and pass along the info you provided.

Thanks

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Update: Went out today and got to see if the update worked. Sled was on and I was driving it for about 10-15 minutes. My buddy who has a 2018 with SHOT as well has never had a problem and he used his after this 10-15 minutes and it worked. However, mine did not work! We rode for 4-5 hours and I did not give up on mine, but I was about ready to. It should have been working but it was not. We were leaving the riding area and I give it one more shot as our group re-grouped and left, IT WORKED! I was certain it was done for but I just kept trying all day. IDK why it took 3-4 hours of riding before it worked, but boy was I happy when it started to work.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
This is all great info and makes sense. I am now not totally certain that my shot is totally fixed. I know for a fact that my bright lights were on as well as my hand warmers when the sled was hooked up to the computer. I am not sure if the Buds 2 was used but will give the tech the benefit of the doubt. The digital gauge was reading 10 -11 and now i am wondering if it should have been reading 12 and this is why it failed the first 2 times.

I plan to put some break in miles on it this weekend and will be using the shot every opportunity I have to make sure it is working.

Thanks for the info. I feel as though the riders that spend time on the machines are much more knowledgeable than the service techs we rely on. Next time I am at the dealer I will be sure to have a chat with the tech and pass along the info you provided.

Thanks

Do you have an update after this weekend on how it worked? You need to get your dealer's digital reading to read 12 volts or more. This might require a battery that has this much voltage, and all the items I talked about turned off. He will also maybe need to Reboot the program on the computer. Then it should recognize the sled.

Premium Features