• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 4 over rev

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Did a little testing this week and was having some surging in rpm up high, dealer said add some weight to pdrive arms, so we added two grams each arm and tried again..

Now it seams to be stuck on 8000 rpm on a good climb just like we want it, but max rpm on the gauge always shows 8250 to 8300

It must be over revving quicker than tack on gauge shows it, seams to happen quickly after stabbing the throttle.. Just like they have wrong profile ramps in it or something.. Basically the max rpm on the gauge is useless..

Also had a discussion with another guy that says the lower clicker on pdrive is the same as older tra, my understanding was it the opposite where you now have to increase number to pull it harder on engine and pull down rpm.. Anyone know correct way.. Currently on clicker three

Thanks all

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
There's gotta be some change so this does not happen, maybe a softer primary spring, differ ramp profile, motor is pulling out of its Max Tq range.. For a slight time

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Fred both mine have done this also...I think its BS as I have never seen it while making a pull. My 2018 has the alford clutch kit and so far Im very happy with this set up!!

What is the alford clutch setup, ive been hearing about it. Whats included?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I don't use the max RPM function, I prefer a couple of quick glances at the tack on the first few hard pulls and call it good unless something changes.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I like to use the max feature like we have in the past, when I see something this far off like we are seeing, then we have clutching loss

You cant use the max function on a G4, the pdrive is a different animal over the tra. Even changing the clickers will affect max rpm flash.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Think doo really steped into this pdrive a little soon, I don’t want a primary that takes a motor out of its tq range, maybe this is why when we raced the 850 against a xm last year onnhard pack trails it never had a chance, power is not getting to snow, even thou the motor is 10hp more.. sure makes you think who is testing these things..

You cant use the max function on a G4, the pdrive is a different animal over the tra. Even changing the clickers will affect max rpm flash.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
these big twins have never been speed demeans, look at the cat and pol 900 both 860's. I think the pdrive is a good clutch. My etechs did the same thing on max rpm.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I didn't reset my max RPM before yesterday's ride (forgot) but checked when I got home. I have 8250 listed as my max. I did see a quick 8100 when I launched fast on hardpack and mostly 7900 on climbs.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Guys ? there is no way in gods green earth that you will able to clutch any machine and be able to hold an exact RPM without over or under rev .

They have done this from the beginning of conception , technology is just allowing you to see it .

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
So the past 4 sleds all had max rpm recall and worked very well in tuning, but you feel this g4 is not in gods green earth a chance of figuring out how to dial a clutch in.. I guess we are going backwards them

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Kidding right ?

It's a CVT like all CVT's they can only do so much . Now if you are saying it's pinging off of 9300 than I would be concerned and that begs to ask what this engine is programmed to shut down at ?

Go to RKTech's web sight and read up on clutching that might explain some of your concerns .

Premium Features