• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who carries spare plugs?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I’m new to the 850, and seems odd not having a spare set of plugs/ wrench along. Has anyone had a failure?

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I picked up a spare set, just because I always had a set with my old sled. Then I realized what a PITA it must be to get to them on the 850. Let's hope we don't have to trail change.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Not sure about the 850s but have heard of etecs fouling them when cold. Saw it first hand during the Christmas break when his 2015 XM fouled both plugs and we couldn't get it running. Loaded it up in the morning and hrs latter wouldnt start because the plugs fouled. The spare plugs are expensive but in my opinion are worth getting as its not worth ruining a day or a helicopter ride out.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
People who own Polaris's carry spare plugs :face-icon-small-hap
Have you looked what it takes to change the plugs? It's a near impossible task. I'd rather hike out :face-icon-small-con

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
People who own Polaris's carry spare plugs :face-icon-small-hap
Have you looked what it takes to change the plugs? It's a near impossible task. I'd rather hike out :face-icon-small-con

Lol that’s what I was thinking. I’m going to go without, and cross my fingers!

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I carry them, but I know I couldn't change them in the hills, it's quite the job. I've also never fouled a plug on it etec.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Never had a problem with plugs on the 4 summits I had, however one of my friends had a issue just a week ago.

He tried to start the sled at -30 -- if it does not keep running it over fuels.
After that it is simply flooded 1/2 hour with hairdryer under the hood and it fired right up.
Would a new plug help -- sure it would.
If it is that cold make sure to pull it over with the key of a few times to loosen things up. So the first few revolutions are not as stiff and the engine has a chance to stay running.
All that said so far all the summit e tec's I have had have been great starters and never let me down. Good fresh fuel without ethanol is the most important for good cold starts.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
If you carry spare plugs better have all the other tools to even get too them. And I’m pretty sure the 850 plugs need to be clocked just like the 800s which isn’t hard but it’s not just plug n play.

Have yet to foul plugs on any of my 850s. In my experience the plugs outlast the motor

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I cannot speak for the 850 or 800 e-tech but after 5 600 e-techs and 37000 miles I have never fouled a plug. A tip on replacing the plug if needed take the correct size box end wrench and cut it in half. Works much better than a traditional socket.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I haven't looked to close at a 850 plugs yet but I carry this with me to change etec plugs. I have had a etec foul out a plug and know carry spares and this wrench.
4e2561d8b75c04730b7048f3b77ab2d1.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Talked with a guy from leftbrige last week, said his son machine was missfiring, they pulled the pita plugs on the 850 and seen that one insulator became loose and would increase gap under load to the point of flame out they thought, Linderman said he also seen this with that style spark plug, and be prepared for this with boost..

Removing plugs is not the quickest but once you did it once on the 850 you can do it fairly quick the second time, right socket wrench and removing hood and airbox rod have to be done, could be done in twenty minutes, with out airbox installed would be minutes

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I will say skidoo did a crappy job of making it easy to to get to plugs and engine. I asked dealer to show me how to change plugs when I picked up my machine, and he laughed. I attempted on my own to figure it out and it is a pain. I had to laugh watching the Narona video with Dave saying what a great job the engineers did making the 850 so easy to get in to. Major pain. So no, I don't carry plugs, but I'd like to.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have'nt carried a set of plugs since Etec came out in 2009

Same here and now with the 850 changing the plugs is not something I would have the tools for out on a ride. Sure hope all this great technology keeps working since we have reached a point where doing anything to the engine requires a computer and proprietary software. Just not tools I have out riding.:face-icon-small-dis

S
Jan 15, 2008
North idaho
A few minutes to get the hood off dosent seem so bad? I carried spares in my 800, never needed them? I did have a plug wire break the metal clip off in the boot at the plug. 5000 miles of beating and vibrating I guess is understandable.?

Premium Features