• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in ride...7.5 gallons in 33 miles...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Depends on snow conditions and throttle. I took my 17 out before I traded it in, On the 5th of November, and i was out of gas in 38 miles. There was over 5 feet of powder.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
And a half of tank of oil...

... normal? Was at 75% break in at end of the day.

Ace

Was some deep snow to go through that much gas and oil I'm guessing?

So far I have gotten between 6 and 11 MPG on my 850, the 6 MPG was during break in in decently deep snow. 11 MPG was after break in was done, I was sled skiing and running the sled only on a firmish trail, with 2 people on the sled for 1/3rd of those miles. MPG numbers are calculated from the dash odometer and the number of gallons added to get the sled back to full, I have not compared my MPG numbers to the MPG number on the dash. I weight about 190 pounds when I get on my sled to ride.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I really thought these sleds were way easy on fuel compared to my 08.

Yea, I'm pretty happy with the MPGs!

Worst case scenario the snow is super deep and I get 5 MPG? If it's deep enough to use that much fuel the last thing I care about is only getting 5 MPG. That's still 47 miles to a full tank, if I'm wringing the sleds neck I'm typically worn out before I ride 47 miles.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It is break in. Until the clock says zero, the MPG and oil consumption doesn't matter. My last year 850 sleds were comparable on mileage and oil to all my 800 sleds after they were off the clock. Granted, they used much more of both until they were broken in, but after they were similar.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
My 175 is out of break in mode and I ran completely out of fuel in 33 miles riding baker on Wednesday. That was breaking trail the entire day WFO. I also brought 7gals of extra fuel and almost ran out of oil....at one point my fuel consumption as shown on the gauge said 1.4mpg lol. Efficiency is not a thing with these sleds.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Thirsty Girls The 850s R

Took my new 18 up to elk lake do some trail rididing till the snow comes back. Never seen anything like this break in first day rode 62 mi and still had 3/4 tank of oil. Went from 98% - 72% filled up that night took 8gal. Next day tried to ride to Manlys b&g 42 mi one way. I f-ed up didn’t call ahead they where closed along with the gas station. I ran out of fuel about 10 miles short and almost out of oil. 72% - 42% long night buddies sled ran out pulling me back walking in snow blows. Haha ps don’t try and pull 2 snowmobiles at once bad idea haha. All trail miles maybe would have made it but I don’t hold rpm in one spot during break in. On the bright side something happen the next day riding home noticed more top end speed & rpm with 3/4 throttle opposed to full throttle. First sled I’ve ever noticed a power increase during or after break in. Can’t weight to install SHR clutch kit lots of potential in the 850. Sitting at 38% break in right now got some parts to fix can’t wait for the deep stuff!!!

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
mine seems to get pretty ****ty gas mileage. I am comparing to my 2015 t3.

Does anyone know what size gas tank. I was on no bars and it only took 7.5gallons.

My riding buddy. Warned me about this. No bars on the gauge and rode out. Filled it and only took 7 gallons. 9.5 gallon tank. Should be a light that comes on for the last gallon in the tank or something.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Do any of you remember the moddy days of the 80's and 90's?? We were glad to get 5 mpg. We always packed at least 5 ga of fuel with us to Baker.

As for my 2018 927 trygstad , still in break in and at average of 12mpg. Time will tell as I get more miles on her.

Premium Features