• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36" Alt Impact Install -- Camber Adjustment problem.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Installing my Alt Impact 36inch front end tonight. Overall its a snap to install, however the adjustment portion of it has me scratching my head.

Instructions Emailed:
The upper ball joint is screwed in all the way (100%) with the jam nut up against the joint. Clear.

The LOWER ball joint is screwed with 1/2" of thread showing between the jam nut and arm. Also Clear

Video on his you tube page

Adjust top ball joint with no or two threads showing (assuming between jam nut and arm for thread count). Clear.

Lower joint adjust between 5-7 threads showing (assuming between jam nut and arm). Also Clear, but different than written instructions.

The problem is if I adjust to the 1/2" mentioned in the instructions, that's 10-11 threads showing.
[Now take the provided 5/8’’ rod ends and screw them into the lower arms leaving ½’’ of thread showing beyond the jam nut, again jam nut going on first.]

That's a HUGE difference between 5 threads on the youtube page. So, how are people adjusting these? I am assuming I go off of 5 threads from Jam nut to edge of lower A-Arm, looks closest to stock geometry. The 1/2" is a TON of negative camber and the ski is visibly tilted inward.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Why dont you just ask them what camber spec they recommend on their front end?
If you dont have a digital angle finder, you can turn your phone into one with a free app.
Forget all the thread showing BS and just set it to an exact number.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Quick email convo with Dan. (FAST response) it looks like I was measuring/counting from the wrong reference point.

Should be checking from the nut to the ball-joint end, not from the nut to the A-Arm.

Nut to Joint yields the correct thread count for 1/2.

Like the angle finder idea however ;-)

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Just for future questions on setting the rod ends for camber guys, please go by thread count. Way back I tried the angle finder method, and it works as long as the handle bars are PERFECTLY straight, and your toe is set exactly the same side to side. If you have one set it against the spindle, then turn the ski. Takes a fraction of turning to send the numbers on the AF off into never land. A guy has to keep in mind these are all production line sleds and they can vary I've seen it before but the thread count is the best procedure unless of course you have a rod that we'll fit into the bottom of the spindle where the ski mounts and use that method. That is by far 100% accurate if you know what you're doing but if a guy doesn't have the rod to fit perfectly into the spindle that method will leave you wasting your time. Any questions through email always remember I can usually respond Within 15 minutes most of the time, if not I try to answer the phone even during off hours. Instructions or should I call them destructions are hit-and-miss, things that I think make perfect sense don't always to somebody else so if in doubt you can also jump on the website on the homepage we do have a couple YouTube videos that are helpful. Thank you. Dan

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Quick email convo with Dan. (FAST response) it looks like I was measuring/counting from the wrong reference point.

Should be checking from the nut to the ball-joint end, not from the nut to the A-Arm.

Nut to Joint yields the correct thread count for 1/2.

Like the angle finder idea however ;-)

I’m wondering how you could count threads from the nut to the A arm?
Were you trying to set the camber with the jamb nuts loose?

Trying to imagine how that came about. :)

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I was counting threads before tightening the jam nut, just made sense to me doing it that way. Adjust length, then lock it down.

Didn't really ever occur to me to lock it down, then check adjustment (Thread count), just seemed backwards, and it wouldn't really move.

Picture is worth a 1000x words:

Upper:
j9XnlWG.jpg

Lower:
HSfvIx9.jpg

Anyway, love the arms, the sled handles amazing.... Thanks Dan!

Premium Features