• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls clutching

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
All that is in there kit is a helix the bearing and some 66g belly busters. They have you use the stock springs. It is nothing special at all. If you have a stock sled in my opinion the 66g weighs are a little heavy at Alt. 8000+. I have there helix which is just a Venom helix that any one can order. I was already runner the 66g weights. I have the SLP pipe and run some different springs and some other adjustments and pull good R's notice no heat and it runs the same all day. I have worked on it the last two winters to get what I wanted but it works. I have an Assault with the chain case also.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
^^Exactly my point^^, there setup is nothing special, and is more or less a "one size fits all" setup. which is fine, except when you call them for input on why it doesn't work....all they can tell you is, "it works on our sleds, and it works great, must be something wrong with your machine". They haven't tested any other parts and apparently aren't interested in doing so. Again, Im not trying to bash Carls, think they have a lot of great products and service. but the clutching thing I think there falling behind on.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
The main reason Polaris engineering went a couple grams heavier with their 10 series weights and decided to run a shallower helix than the pro is that the axys motor spools up so quickly they were getting belt slip on instant acceleration. The 10 series weights throw very hard off the bottom and the straight 40 gives you far more belt squeeze. I have some friends running carls and overall they work fantastic, but we do a lot of straight line hillclimbing. I have a feeling if they were in and out of the throttle all day as in tree riding, the carls set-up would slip and heat. I've inspected the carls set-up clutches a few times and there is most always a black slip streak on the lower third of the primary which is exactly what Polaris was trying to solve.

This is a excellent point and I thought the same thing! I just happened to have that helix so I tried it and came to the same conclusion. Going to try the new TRS setup, but first I'm going to try a 50-38.30 with 155-222 secondary spring, stock primary and 10-66 weights for 8000-10,000, load the primary a little heavy and see what happens. I was also slipping the belt in the primary and could not pull rpm's.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
10 series weights lack the critical mass at shift out to successfully grip the belt. The black witness mark on your primary confirms that.
When Polaris changed pin height and roller size on the P85 they made the 10 series obsolete. I have had this conversation with them. The fly weights offered by Polaris have not followed the progression of the P85.
Polaris had a great weight in the S series. I believe it loaded the engines to hard. With all the engine troubles of the CFI-4 and 2s they stayed with the 10 series, they do not and will not load the engine. If you dig into past warranty documents the addition of aftermarket weights can void your warranty. Think about that for a moment.

Edit:
The 10 series weight was born when we were running a button secondary with very light springs and a shallow helix. The Team secondary using massive springs in comparison dictates a new design in fly weights. Have you checked the profiles Cat, Yamaha, and Doo have offered in the last few years?

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have sold and used several Carl's kits. They were very good for the Proride. The helix they use is custom machined for them but there are very similar cuts available from Venom (Team). Anyway I moved the kit to my AXYS but jumped from 62 gram Belly Buster weights to 64 gram. These weights are economical and hit really hard. (BEST SEAT OF THE PANTS INCREASE FOR THE AXYS) They did however have some manufacturing problems with the surface chrome finish peeling off but they are now good. The problem with Belly Busters is that they actually hit too hard when combined with the aggressive upshift of the Carl's helix. This causes an already snappy sled to spin the track too much and trench. I have found that The Carl's kit with the stock helix is best but I also dropped the primary spring to a 120lb start to further ease the engagement to gain some more throttle control.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I have noticed the trenching. I changed the helix to the other angle and that’s where I really noticed it. I’m going to try my stocker for a bit and see. Thanks for the post I was thinking that was it but was unsure you confirmed my thoughts.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Wide range##

Don't be afraid to just change one thing!!!

In your clutching set up

Learn how it changing your sled

The best clutching kit#!! My .02

I have found these sleds do love weight and you don't have to use large Springs. Just throwing away power.. eek

Need a weight bushing to hold up is the next thing;)

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
because of this thread I decided to put my stock helix back I and try it out, and honestly I like the stock helix better. Its only been one ride in fairly heavy snow, but it seems to have better response on the bottom end, picking through trees.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just curious, what’s the angle on the Carl’s helix and/or the venom helix that is like it?

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
These axys motors rev very quick and if you want to run the 60-40.36 then you need to load the heel of the weight a lot heavier so that you are not slipping the belt, the 10 series is not going to work! You need an adjustable weight like thunder products heavy hitters or venom roosters. I did this in spring and it worked very well, tried it with 10 series in the powder and slips the belt in the primary. Going to test this weekend with a 56-38.36, stock springs and will test 10 series and heavy hitters at 10,000 ft on a slp stage 3.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
because of this thread I decided to put my stock helix back I and try it out, and honestly I like the stock helix better. Its only been one ride in fairly heavy snow, but it seems to have better response on the bottom end, picking through trees.

Have you tried both angles on the Carl’s helix?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I have run both angles also. The 60-40 does work and feels good in some areas. However, when in and out of the throttle and back in tight spots during navigation,with little to not much throttle it will trench and blow the track out. The 62-42 does the same thing but worse. In the flat and trail areas both seem good and pull. I put my stocker back in last weekend and I have the same thoughts as above. I was in the Snowy Range in fresh snow in the trees and riding in untracked areas and it was way better. Working off trail and playing in the trees and tighter areas it is more forgiven and doesn't blow the track out. I do have some belt slip in the primary with my Belly's 66g also. I do like my current setup however always looking to improve it. If someone wants a Carl's helix I have one for sale in the swap-meet, make an offer.

Last edited:
Premium Features