• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 PRO 800 Top End Blown :(

pacattack

Lifetime Membership
Aug 21, 2017
Squamish
hey guys,

bought a 2014 pro 800 at the end of last season with 1200 miles on it. only took it out a couple of times and the top end blew first time out this season.

I am devastated, obviously. This is my first ever sled so it's all new to me.

only put a couple hundred miles on it since buying it. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if i have a case to go back to the dealer on this? no additional warranty was purchased when i bought it, have a basically screwed myself with this?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
You bought from a polaris dealer correct? What exactly happened to the top end? How many miles did you put on it?

Possibly lack of oil is the problem? Some pics would help.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

pacattack

Lifetime Membership
Aug 21, 2017
Squamish
yes, bought from a polaris dealer in prince geore, bc. I actually live down in squamish and the sled is currently at a dealer in Whistler so i don't have any pics. I don't know exactly what is wrong with the top end yet, i just know the dealer started the sled and immediately shut it down and said the top end is gone. The sled lost all power, was only idling at 800rpm, producing black smoke that leaves soot on the driveway.

the sled was only taken out for two short trips putting only 100 miles on it... if that. not even a full tank of gas was put through it. First time ever on a sled so definitely wasn't pushing it very hard.

I have a pre-sale inspection so i trusted the dealer would have gone over the sled and that the sled would be ready to ride without any major issues with the oil system or what not. oil level in the tank did go down so it definitely was using oil.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
yes, bought from a polaris dealer in prince geore, bc. I actually live down in squamish and the sled is currently at a dealer in Whistler so i don't have any pics. I don't know exactly what is wrong with the top end yet, i just know the dealer started the sled and immediately shut it down and said the top end is gone. The sled lost all power, was only idling at 800rpm, producing black smoke that leaves soot on the driveway.

the sled was only taken out for two short trips putting only 100 miles on it... if that. not even a full tank of gas was put through it. First time ever on a sled so definitely wasn't pushing it very hard.

I have a pre-sale inspection so i trusted the dealer would have gone over the sled and that the sled would be ready to ride without any major issues with the oil system or what not. oil level in the tank did go down so it definitely was using oil.

What did you do for summer storage?

How much fuel was in the tank over the summer?
Was it stored inside?
Covered?

Was the first ride out on old gas? Ethanol?

What exactly is “blown”?

Last edited:
J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Take it to Five Star Motor Sports the dealer in whistler is not a Polaris dealer. DO NOT use Sea To Sky or anyone that claims to work with them, Hands down worst Polaris dealer.

Five Star will do there best to help you if there is something that can be done through warranty, if not get the MTNTEK fix kit and be happy.

Dont give one penny to sea to sky motor sports ever, from whare your at make the drive to chilliwack and go into five* motor sports or learn to do the work your self. Just consider its peak season and you may want to inquire about the waiting list or time.

A

Alaskanparret

Nov 25, 2011
How many miles did the sled have on it before you purchased it??

FWIW, with my 14 pro I was so worried when I got to 1600 miles at the beginning of the season I decided to rebuild it. Pistons looked pretty much new. No scoring whatsoever. Little bit of blow by on the rings was all.

Rebuilt it, 100 miles later it starts to idle terrible again...CHECK YOUR INTAKE SCREENS to make sure they are not ripped!

Turn the Oiler up, let her warm up to 120 in the parking lot, let the temps settle after getting stuck or stopping.

Let us know how the dealer handles it. Hopefully they help you out. Or if they don’t, hopefully they at least give you everything at cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
If its in whistler its at Revolution Powersports. They also have a new shop in Pemberton. They carry the most Polaris stuff then anyone in the corridor only because they are the only ones beside a dealer that stock stuff for all brands. I would not take anything to them if you are considering warranty and if you aren't I would still recommend going to Five Star Motorsports in Chilliwack, hands down the best service around.

My buddies sled has been at sea to sky for almost a year, they ignore his calls wont update him and the manager hides every-time he goes in he has sled under warranty and they wont do anything for him missed out on half a season of riding last year and they wouldn't even give him a demo. I went to buy a quick drive belt 3 weeks ago and was told they don't stock them, then 4 days later I see an Instagram post telling people to check out their new online store, Kinda pointless if you don't stock anything?

You have been told where to go from people with lots of experience with the dealers here, the rest is up to you.

Premium Features