• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 M7 diamond drive help? Output shaft bearing failure?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho City, ID
So during my annual november ritual of pulling the diamond drive and cleaning/inspecting i found that the large bearing on the output shaft (in the case closest to drivers) seems noisy. Knowing the planetary gears can howl a little i removed them as well as the plastic/magnet contraption behind them. I found very very fine metal shavings that seemed to be magnetized to the bearing on the output shaft. When turning the output shaft there is a grinding noise (and gritty feel) but there is no play in the shaft.

I suspect the bearing is bad, but havent heard of this one failing . Could these filings have come from the plastic/magnet behind the planetary gears, and should i replace that too? Would a flush be worth a try if i have no play in the shaft? If anyone has ever dealt with this and could help me out id appreciate it!

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Honestly it's probably worth pulling it and taking a good look at it. Replacing the bearings now is a lot cheaper than replacing gears.

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
I’ve had the same thing happen. Clean clean and clean again and replace all the bearings. The kit from bd is China bearings. The one is hard to get but the rest can be bought at a Bearing house and they’ll be good bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features