• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride reviews

J
Feb 5, 2016
Anybody knows when are the first ride reviews coming out? Undecided between the new 165 summit and the 163 pro rmk. It's snowcheck time, it'd be nice to hear about the reviews.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
This is from Dootalk.

So I rode some 2017's today:
154x3
165x2.5
165x3
As well as 2016 T3 163 and 174

Conditions were 2 feet of fresh. I typically ride tight trees. All sleds were stock and ridden as is, suspension set soft. 2017's were late prototype / pre production models and still in break in mode.

I am impressed. They flat out rip. All of the improvements and changes are apparent and significant. The styling is much nicer in person than in photos IMO.

One of the most significant improvements is the clutching. Power delivery is dramatically quicker than the XM. WFO engine speeds are consistent and stable. The clickers are a little more finicky to adjust but still pretty straightforward.
The 850 is excellent. Starting, idle and exhaust tone are quite similar to the 800. Power increase is obvious. Throttle response is much better.

The chassis has a lighter feel and the sled is much more nimble and responsive to steering and body inputs. I think the weight balance is noticeable.
The tunnel holds much less snow. The extruded boards are the best yet. The narrower tank and tapered tunnel make quite a difference. The seat is alright too
Nobody crashed, so no feedback on the front bulkhead strength. It is confirmed as all one piece with the upper triangle. There was some discussion that the production models may not be welded where the two halves join.
The spindle and ski rubber has been redesigned to prevent the ski from going vertical. This was a very frustrating problem for me on the XM, so I am very happy to see it addressed!

I very much liked the tracks. IMO, they are better than the XM tracks in the conditions we had; notably the new 3" gets on top of the snow and recovers from a near stuck better.
I was able to do back to back comparisons between the G4 and t3. The 165, I feel, out performed the 174 in every way. norona wasn't bullsitting. To be fair though, the 174 we had was high mileage and had lived a rough life.

The new display looks and functions basically the same as the digital portion of the XM guage, but larger. Two selectable lines, with fuel and temp in bars. It is also backlit. I did see a numeric engine temperature readout as one of the options.

The kill switch, dess, throttle lever, brake master and handgrips are unchanged. The heated grips seem hotter, and the thumb/grips are now linked. The reverse button is tiny. The headlight switch is now on the dash. There is no windshield but a similar rubber grommet mounted trim piece is there. The glove box is a bit larger, the rear storage is gone, although there is potential for storage here if you go manual start. Incandescent headlights. The air intakes are larger with an additional mesh panel that faces the rider.

Suspension performance is basically the same, although I didn't mess with any settings. Ride is plush on the trail, but can be overridden in heavy washboard.

The new snowflap is longer and is a pain in the ash. It does not stay folded under the bumper the way the XM flap did. The brake caliber is completely exposed and the bleeder screw protrudes unnecessarily into to footwell. The side panels hinge at an angle now and get in the way unless you remove them. I prefer rubber straps over the new clips used to hold them shut. The clutch cover is even more finicky to install and has some annoying fibrous insulation inside. It can be easily removed. There is very little room under the plastics and the muffler fills the entire right side, but I think there's still room for a muffpot. The oil tank appeared oil tight, and there is a tab to prevent over tightening of the cap.

The 154 is a wheelie monster. It was my least favourite of the new machines, but I was enjoying it more as I got seat time. It's a fun sled, but feels a little too squirrelly for my taste and riding style. Noticeably higher track speeds than the 165's. Did I mention it likes wheelie? I unintentionally backflipped it climbing.

The 165 x 2.5 was a surprise. It felt smoother and more predictable then the 165 x 3". Obviously less traction in the deep, but still very capable and worth consideration. The lugs are stiffer than the 3". Don't overlook thos model; several of us felt it was the nicest to ride of the three.

Fit and finish is very good overall.
Things under the hood are quite tight and compact. Apparently a lot of thought went into streamlining the way it is assembled and built. Excess wire lengths removed from the harness, plugs are grouped for serviceability.
One new thing that popped up in discussion a few times was the 'power pack'. The engine is now removed with the injection system, wiring and coolant lines attached. It's held in with 3 bolts and supposedly a proficient mechanic can have the whole thing out in 40 minutes.

One thing that was reiterated several times was the amount of testing that has gone into this sled on both the engine and chassis. This is the third season they have been on the the snow, and the confidence is high that there will be no surprises.

Overall, the new sled is a big step foreward in performance. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a 'game changer' but it definitely is the next generation of the rev platform and mountain sled performance for ski doo. If you must have the latest and greatest, go check one; you'll be happy.
Edited by greenthumb., Today, 03:37 AM.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
166.2.5"

"The 165 x 2.5 was a surprise. It felt smoother and more predictable then the 165 x 3". Obviously less traction in the deep, but still very capable and worth consideration. The lugs are stiffer than the 3". Don't overlook thos model; several of us felt it was the nicest to ride of the three."

Wonder if the stiffer lug 2.5" would be a good all round choice for the "heavier" snow we get closer to the coast?

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I posted that over on dt, I should have posted my thoughts over here too!

Wonder if the stiffer lug 2.5" would be a good all round choice for the "heavier" snow we get closer to the coast?

Thanks for copying. I already checked the 3" 165! I hope the 3" track works as well as the T3 track does in all snow conditions. The lug design reminds of the 2nd generation challenger extreme 3" which was garbage in set up/spring snow!

I'm from the interior, and the snow we had that day was a little heavier than usual, probably similar to your area.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from the 3", just not to discount the 2.5". It has its own merits and performed well that day.
I've owned both, and feel the 2.5 is better as an all round track. Sure the 3" rocks in the deep pow hands down, but it also sucks in the spring when you have to ride 20km of ice to get up to the alpine. If you consistently ride only deep fresh snow, the 3" is a no brainer.

That said, I checked a new 3", but I'm keeping my 2.5" XM. :face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I posted that over on dt, I should have posted my thoughts over here too!

I'm from the interior, and the snow we had that day was a little heavier than usual, probably similar to your area.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from the 3", just not to discount the 2.5". It has its own merits and performed well that day.
I've owned both, and feel the 2.5 is better as an all round track. Sure the 3" rocks in the deep pow hands down, but it also sucks in the spring when you have to ride 20km of ice to get up to the alpine. If you consistently ride only deep fresh snow, the 3" is a no brainer.

That said, I checked a new 3", but I'm keeping my 2.5" XM. :face-icon-small-con

Sorry. Didn't mean to steal your post from Dootalk. I didn't know you were on sw. :face-icon-small-dis

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
Greenthumb

You said that the 153 was a "wheelie Monster" with that being said do you know how they had the limiter straps setup?

I couldn't say. I had a peek at the skids in the shop. Didn't count the holes, but they seemed around your typical factory setting. There is only one strap now. Springs were set to 1 all around on all sleds that I noticed. I think the wheelie factor is a little more than just the limiter stamp setting.

Sorry. Didn't mean to steal your post from Dootalk. I didn't know you were on sw. :face-icon-small-dis

Mo worries, it's all good! Was about to do the same and then I saw you had beat me to it. :)

sledjunky_86

Premium Member
Jan 22, 2013
This is what guy said on the other ride report thread......................"So I just came off riding a Boondocker sidekick axys and new 165 3 inch doo and all I can say is wow. I ride whatever sled is better and not brand loyal. The new ski doo rips front end is super light to steer carve and side hill so much less input than the axys by far doesn't wash out nearly as bad as xm doo (It could side hill as steep of stuff as the axys and just as good or better, easier to get into tho for sure) and I have to say I ride 163 Polaris this year and feels like a dinosaur getting back on it. Ski doo nailed it one thing I didn't like tho is it didn't have foot stirrups to pull sled up with foot for less input carving but can be added and I will get them on my sled only bad thing about it.. looks good in person don't let that be something that turns you away because the sled does not disappoint power was spot on and amazing. And anyone who is wondering about track length without a doubt go 165 it feels more nimble in trees and everywhere feels like a short track but climbs great with the new track setup and gets up out of the snow really fast. Although Gauge is small they are nice and good but unless you are trail riding or sitting at the bottom of the hill or being a little p**sy shut the f*ck up about the little non sence bs it's a damn mountain sled thank ski doo it's a great build sled and will push compitition like nothing before and is the best mountain sled there is around now. I rode the axys all season and didn't fall in love with it other than deep 2 foot days and even then the track would just dig down and not get outa the snow even stock so take it whatever it's worth to you this is my opinion on it and would buy a ski doo hands down"

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
These forums are getting ridiculous. The brand bashing and inherit bias in all the posts I read is so apparent (even the people who say "I'm not bias"). I find myself reading less and less information on this site because of it. Anyone else finding this is true? Maybe it's just this time of year where everyone gets really brand happy because of new product or something.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
These forums are getting ridiculous. The brand bashing and inherit bias in all the posts I read is so apparent (even the people who say "I'm not bias"). I find myself reading less and less information on this site because of it. Anyone else finding this is true? Maybe it's just this time of year where everyone gets really brand happy because of new product or something.

Most honest post in awhile.

Personally I don't get why people have so much bias, and you're right it is glaringly obvious. And if you have to say "I'm not bias", well I think you just shot your foot right there. Believe me, your "unbiased" butt kissing isn't getting you noticed by skidoo, it isn't going to get you the phone call of your dreams that you're the next Nornona... The Internet and social media really have given people a skewed perception of how things actually work, and that goes for any industry.

Bottom line with any of these new sleds is they ALL rip and most riders will run out of talent before using full machine capability. Each sled excels in different areas. Find the one that suits your riding style and is the most fun to you!

Last edited:
Premium Features