• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo G4 rtr weights vs axys

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
so subtract 12 pounds from his axys figures and its equal big deal his point is still proven just the same. nice try bud

Actually, bud, his figures (and who really knows how accurate his estimates are, but for the sake of this discussion, let's assume they are accurate), he lists the Axys 155 as 500 lbs rtr, and the equivalent Doo 154 at 511 rtr.
So now if we were to eliminate the extra 2 gallons of fuel so as not to penalize the Poo for having a larger tank, then we'd be at a 22 lb differential, as now the Poo would be 489.
511 - 489 = 22

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Let's get one thing straight. The Poo NEEDS a larger fuel tank.

All things being equal, a port injection engine will never match the power or efficiency of direct injection.

And for anyone who wants to argue this maybe the XP section would be more your thing. :p

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Good point on fuel tank, but the burping is something we all seam to do for years on the sled on a big day of riding.. And I seen like most have said..

When I have used 36liters on a hard day on the turbo the n/a are in high twentys for litres used.. And to use a full tank on a n/a Etec.. Your going to be pinned a lot during the day.. We have put over 125km on days in decent snow and still not ran out.. That's pretty impressive

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Word on the streets is that the '17 tank design is different and will eliminate burping as long as the sled is level when being filled.

Words of wisdom for those wanting a full tank on their XP/XM:
Park with the skis on the ramp or ramp door of your trailer (doesn't take much, even a foot higher will do) and you will get over 40 liters in your sled.

Just make sure you are heading up the trail right away :face-icon-small-hap. If you park/store/trailer it this full you will be sad. And when your riding buddies realize that their gear now stinks like gas you will be the subject of beatings and/or practical jokes for the rest of the trip. Or maybe season. Lol

T

tollen77

Feb 19, 2008
Wow, I guess a new Doo with a 2 gallon tank would be lighter than a Polaris! LOL. This is what sucks about forums, nobody can admit that "Their Brand" is wrong. Did Doo make some big strides? Heck Yes! Are they as light as a Polaris Axys? Not Even. If you are going to compare apples to apples then make sure they have equivalent tank sizes.

I guess the new LinQ system with the stackable fuel cans is for the extra gas Doo guys will have to pack to get back to the truck.

I really like the new Doo, and might even buy one, but this reasoning people are using is nuts! Why didn't Doo just fix their problem with the original tanks and leave it the same size?

I don't know... Shouldn't the fact that you don't need as much fuel to go the same distance (ie: better mileage for the doo) count for something?

I think the first analysis is correct re: riding weights. They're awfully close to the same when ready to go and to ride the same amount of time.

Polaris sleds (of which, I own one BTW) burn more fuel and require more coolant to not overheat. They should be penalized for this.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I myself would rather have the same sized tank with better fuel mileage, gives me the best chance to make it back to the truck:) If RTR became the standard for weights manufacturers would give you a one gallon tank and you'd be carrying two 5 gallon jugs on the tunnel...

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Don't think that would happen... Sounds like a decoy.. When poo makes a direct injection it will save a lot of fuel In a hard day of riding..

I myself would rather have the same sized tank with better fuel mileage, gives me the best chance to make it back to the truck:) If RTR became the standard for weights manufacturers would give you a one gallon tank and you'd be carrying two 5 gallon jugs on the tunnel...

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Just some figures I threw together here. They may not be 100% accurate but they are close.

Axys 155

Dw. 408

11.5 gallons fuel 71 lbs
2 gallons coolant 14 lbs
1 gallon oil. 7 lbs.

Total 500

Skidoo G4 154

Dw 434

9.5 gallons of fuel. 59 lbs
1.5 gallons coolant. 11 lbs
1 gallon oil. 7 lbs

511 lbs ready to ride.

11 lbs difference. Wow. Not so much difference any more.

Let's look at a 163x3 axys vs a 165x3 G4.

Axys dw 426
Add the 92 lbs of fluids
518 lbs

G4 dw. 441
Add 77 lbs of fluids.
518 lbs.

��

Why such a small fuel tank on the doo? I guess I don't use all of my fuel most the time out west in a day but in Michigan we certainly do. I wonder If I would have to carry a gas can on the doo. Also I dropped 15lbs off of my Axys in less than 10 minutes for under $300 by taking the stock can off and installing a GGB mountain can. The new Doo does have some nice specs glad to see them making positive changes.

KingCon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2016
I think 19 mpg is a dream. They smoking some happy weed or something. The Doo's I have ridden with his year ALL used more than the Polaris'. Polaris probably beat them by a couple of gallons each time.

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
Does weight really matter when you slap one of these on a gen4?:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo:first:

Screenshot_2016-02-28-07-47-42.jpg Screenshot_2016-02-28-07-47-25.jpg Screenshot_2016-02-25-16-34-43.jpg

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Fixed it for ya

a716930b1efe3a720a0ba01aae932599.jpg

"Hope" this new cooler/tunnel design eliminates ice build up

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I think 19 mpg is a dream. They smoking some happy weed or something. The Doo's I have ridden with his year ALL used more than the Polaris'. Polaris probably beat them by a couple of gallons each time.

...I've seen the opposite. Most of the Poos burn more. And I own both.

Ace

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD

Now, if you were my kid, I would roll up the newspaper and hit you on the head and say
"Quit talking so damned stupid!"

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
It's barely a one gallon difference. Gawd, move along already.

If the design is better (and by eye it looks like they have flattened the raised up area at the rear of the tank that needed to be burped) then most people will be leaving the staging area with MORE fuel than their XP/XM anyways.

None of us have even ridden one yet and this is already being blown way out of proportion. I think the vast majority will be completely satisfied by the new (slightly smaller) tank size along with all the incremental weight losses.

And let's get something else covered: I'm not brand loyal.... at all. What I love to see is the bar constantly being raised by any of the manufacturers. I love new sleds and I love new technology. Can't wait to try one of these things out. If I do I will let you know if it runs outta gas. Lol

Last edited:

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
lol......and I thought it was only that way in our group that all the poos were using more gas. Glad to see its more common across the board!
Just wondering if all if the guys on doos in your groups watch the poos shred the hills they can't conquer?? Then get back at the end of the day they say WTH you used 3 more gallons then me!! :face-icon-small-ton

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
Personally I would like t see a 12 or13 gallon fuel tank for those farther to reach play areas rather then the p.i.t.a. Jugs on the tunnel, for the other days only 2/3 fill your tank

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
I would agree with a larger tank that you only fill to 2/3.... As soon as they build a fuel gauge that's reliable. I hope the new sender and gauge works well. The XP and XM fuel gauges are not trustworthy.

Premium Features