• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 300 XC-W thermostat

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
My 2015 300 came with a thermostat and im just wondering if it will work for snow biking.
Anyone know anything about it?
Wondering what temp it opens at?
Will it bypass too much in this cold climate sport?
Any other info i should know about it?

I do know that it is going to work awesome as a snow bike cause ive had it out at Cooke this spring, Just qurious about a few things.

Thanks for any help

Her she is:becky:

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Hey man! Bike looks killer.... a light guy like you is going to rock it.

Is it the KTM thermostat? If so it's a 70C (158F) thermostat and I had one on my KX450. The stat is a definite help versus stock but the newer stats from Thermobob and Avid are much better especially with the recirc settings and tap-in temp gauge option. I was extremely happy with the new TB3 that Bill made for last season. All I ran was a standard plastic skid plate, some closed cell foam between the motor and the plate, and the stat. Temps reliably hover around 170-180F and even when you take a powder bath and the temps drop to 120F they build back quickly. No stat is going to keep you at a temp all day just because how aluminum transfers temps but the TB3 is great. My buddy had an Avid 190F on his 14 YZ450F and it overheated quite a few times. No skid plate no foam. All a guy needs to do in the spring is drop the foam and plate with the TB3 and temps are good.

Other than changing your oil religiously I think the stat is another great way to keep your motor in good shape. I've heard of guys doing 4 minute pulls in powder and reading 65F on their in-line temp gauges without stats.... not good.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
My 2015 300 came with a thermostat and im just wondering if it will work for snow biking.

Anyone know anything about it?

Wondering what temp it opens at?

Will it bypass too much in this cold climate sport?

Any other info i should know about it?

I do know that it is going to work awesome as a snow bike cause ive had it out at Cooke this spring, Just qurious about a few things.

Thanks for any help

Her she is:becky:

I can tell you this I used an avid stat on my cr500 and it would get too hot to easy... I still ran a carb heat but I just added a valve to run the coolant through the carb heater... Does mine cool down fast yes... I could not keep it from boiling without getting rid of the stat ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
How does that 300 stack up to the 450's?
I like twostrokes. :)
I've been stewing about building a snowbike.

VERY fun bike to ride!

Pros are
  • light
  • agile
  • easy/cheap to work on
  • way better woods bike in the summer
Cons
  • vibrates more than a 450 at high rpms
  • lacks roll on power of the 450

as of now I would not trade it for a 450 except for on the mx track

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
VERY fun bike to ride!

Pros are
  • light
  • agile
  • easy/cheap to work on
  • way better woods bike in the summer
Cons
  • vibrates more than a 450 at high rpms
  • lacks roll on power of the 450

as of now I would not trade it for a 450 except for on the mx track
Well see about that in the deep snow ;) oh wait. then you will be on your 4 stroke sled... you poor confused soul :)

Hahaha.

Sheetmetalfab, If your a 2 stroke guy the 300 builds are pretty dang fun. I will admit, I was giggling like a little kid riding this bike in cooke this may. So zippy and fun. My 14 yz will pull it for sure but dang the 300 is a little hotrod.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Well see about that in the deep snow ;) oh wait. then you will be on your 4 stroke sled... you poor confused soul :)

Seriously, Now that you say that out loud its kinda messed up:face-icon-small-con haha most 4 stroke sleds dont weight 450 lbs either though

Here is a picture of the stat. It doenst look like the ktm stat i had for my past snowbikes but i guess it could have the same internals with just different hose configuration

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
59435017000 is listed as a 70deg. I bet you could also steal the internals from the 55deg they sold on the early 2000 200 excs 8f you wanted to run cooler.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Hahaha.

Sheetmetalfab, If your a 2 stroke guy the 300 builds are pretty dang fun. I will admit, I was giggling like a little kid riding this bike in cooke this may. So zippy and fun. My 14 yz will pull it for sure but dang the 300 is a little hotrod.

Hmm i do weigh 220# maybe the 530 fi would be a better option.

Last edited:
Premium Features