• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anybody ever put extra vents on a 99 mountain max???

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
my cousin brought me his 2 mtn sleds to work on and service for him. one is a 99 mountain max 700. its still in pretty good shape for its age. one thing i would like to do is add some vents to it so it can breathe. im not all that concerned about adding cool air for the intake, more so, i would like to get rid of the underhood heat for the clutches and stuff.

who has done this? what vents did you use? its kinda hard to find anything that is "sled specific" for this old girl. one thing i thought about doing was punching out the 2 spots in the gauge pod and adding some 2" round vents there. i would also like to put some side panel vents on the clutch and can sides of the belly pan.

the other thing i want to do is cover his existing hood vents with prefilter material to keep snow out of the engine compartment. i was a little worried that i wouldn't be getting enough air. anybody done this too?

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Put the two in the gauge cluster for intake air.

If the sled is clutched right, you really don't need extra for that area. I can run my sled fairly hard and not have much heat in the clutches-Hartman clutch kits. I also switched to Ultimax belts. They are softer and don't slip as much as the rock hard Yami belts. I did put one vent in the shock tower but it keeps getting ripped out. It is now covered in tape.LOL I would also leave the stock vent alone. Snow getting in those won't hurt anything. If you put that material under the vents, snow will pile on top of it and no air will get into the engine compartment.JMO

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Put the two in the gauge cluster for intake air.

If the sled is clutched right, you really don't need extra for that area. I can run my sled fairly hard and not have much heat in the clutches-Hartman clutch kits. I also switched to Ultimax belts. They are softer and don't slip as much as the rock hard Yami belts. I did put one vent in the shock tower but it keeps getting ripped out. It is now covered in tape.LOL I would also leave the stock vent alone. Snow getting in those won't hurt anything. If you put that material under the vents, snow will pile on top of it and no air will get into the engine compartment.JMO

i wondered about that. we did that to my buddy's mountain cat right before we went to cooke in march. granted, we didn't really have anything coming over the hood, so i don't know how they are going to work.

i was pretty leary about doing the ones in the shock tower. figured they would be the first to come out. i have heard of guys that get powder hitting the pipe and creating a bog. any truth to that?

M
Nov 26, 2007
I put 2 flo rites in the gauge pod for an air intake. Works great in high elevation. Will create a bog at lower elevation (without playing with jetting).

Stock pipe mountain max doesn't have much problem of a bog with snow hitting the pipes. But when I put my Bender Triples on it did....bad. I took the front 2 nose vents, and the 2 front belly pan vents out put some screen of off a screen door and put them infront of the vents and rerivted them back on. I left them a little lose to let the snow build up vibrate off. Stops the snow from pouring into the large openings of the stock vents.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I put 2 flo rites in the gauge pod for an air intake. Works great in high elevation. Will create a bog at lower elevation (without playing with jetting).

Stock pipe mountain max doesn't have much problem of a bog with snow hitting the pipes. But when I put my Bender Triples on it did....bad. I took the front 2 nose vents, and the 2 front belly pan vents out put some screen of off a screen door and put them infront of the vents and rerivted them back on. I left them a little lose to let the snow build up vibrate off. Stops the snow from pouring into the large openings of the stock vents.

see, thats what i wanted to do too. except i was going to use prefilter material from slp. you think that would work?

oh, and this sled LIVES at 8000+ft. so it should be ok to put the florights in.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
good post.

i've been considering doing the same thing on my BR Tech hood..mainly for looks :rolleyes:

but if i get more power and lower temps..that would be cool too

Premium Features