• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinions on extending my SRX

F
Jul 5, 2009
Michigan
I'm love Yami's 700 motors but have had no luck finding a Mountain Viper or MMax sled locally. I would rather have a second sled for off trail but think I will long track my 99 SRX. From what I could gather the MM skid wont directly bolt in. Just curious if the MViper would?
Or should I skip those all together & go with something else?
I know in 98 they had the SRX Mountains...are those just 136 Proactions?
Thanks for any direction on this.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I know sometimes these projects seem like a good idea, but............The yami triples are great, but I've seen people dump thousands and thousands into rear skids, shocks, suspension etc and they still don't really perform like you want them to. Not sure what your goals are though. Sometimes it just becomes more cost effective to buy something else.
Good luck

F
Jul 5, 2009
Michigan
^^^^I agree with you. Ideally I'd have another sled. I may just spend more time searching. My SRX is dialed in perfect for our trail riding but as you would expect sinks like a stone off them. As I'm getting older I really want to get off trail. I'm still a 2-stroke guy (mostly due to budget) & am stuck on that 700 that I know inside & out. The time off year isn't the greatest, but that's when I do all my work. I may have to expand into Wisc/Minn to land something.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
A mountain max skid will bolt right in. You can use almost all of the parts. the tunnle extension, heat exchangers, hoses, covers, etc. i'm sure these parts are out there laying around. Where you from? Eric

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
Yeah my MSRX has the 136 proaction I would seriously consider at least a 144. I've been looking at putting a poo or doo rear skid under it to save weight and improve ride also putting a 151 on it for a back up mountain rig. So any guys with a good set up willing to help a little I would appreciate some help.

I know mountainperformance.com used to make some extensions for the SRX, or try Tom @ hartmaninc.com should be able to make something out of those two sites

Last edited:
F
Jul 5, 2009
Michigan
A mountain max skid will bolt right in. You can use almost all of the parts. the tunnle extension, heat exchangers, hoses, covers, etc. i'm sure these parts are out there laying around. Where you from? Eric
OK, thanks for confirming that. Is the MM 141 or 144?
I'm from Michigan so forgive my lack of knowledge about this side of things. We do have some great snow conditions in the U.P. for off trail riding...nothing like out West I'm sure tho.

Yeah my MSRX has the 136 proaction I would seriously consider at least a 144. I've been looking at putting a poo or doo rear skid under it to save weight and improve ride also putting a 151 on it for a back up mountain rig. So any guys with a good set up willing to help a little I would appreciate some help.

I know mountainperformance.com used to make some extensions for the SRX, or try Tom @ hartmaninc.com should be able to make something out of those two sites

Thanks for the advice. Where I ride, a ton of people have the 136" crossover sleds. There are thousands of miles of trails in MI so you will be on them a fair amount of time. The 136 seem to be enough for most people for our off trail riding. Here I would not go larger than 144 for that reason. 136-141 sounds about perfect to me.

That is if I can't find what I want. I would lean toward the MViper due to the PV's & ability to add the pipes to get it up to or over the SRX power range.

L
Feb 3, 2008
The cheapest route is to add tunnel and rail extensions. However, it becomes more involved than you think.

I did my 2001 SRX because I just wasn't riding it anymore due to lack of suspension and I wanted a project. I ended up using Track usa extensions and a 136 arctic cat 1 3/8 track. I also put Viper shocks in the rear which gave me 11.5 inches of travel. This also entailed different control rods and limiter straps. I left the front end alone the skis never touched the ground. It was geometry related and I never could get it to handle right until I added Viper trailing arms (taller spindles) longer radius rods (43" ski stance)and had Viper shocks modified with heavier springs had the top of the shock modified from clevis mount to standard. I had all the shock work done from Pioneer perf. As a side note I believe they have a long travel rear kit that enxtend the shafts of the stock shocks...I would use them as a resource in your research.

Bottom line is the sled is now awesome but it took me 3 seasons to get it right. Would I do it again?...Yes it was a fun project, I learned a lot and really like the sled now.

Y

Yamaha_nisse

Sep 20, 2008
Don't know your budget...

But if you have 1k to spend you will get the most parts you need to get a great allaround sled out of your SRX.

Start with looking at the swapmeet here at SW..

A Poo or A/C skid 136-->144" ~ 300-400$ at most
Track desent shape ~ 250$
Front shocks ~150->200$
Tunnel ext. ~ 100$ at most, prob. cheaper..
Some small parts may be needed as bolts, dropbrackets so on...

Its cheap and pretty simple to ext. a Pro-Action sled. And don't even think re-using the Pro-Action skid, with extension etc..
Go with a new skid for aprox. same amount of $$ spend but a damn better ride.

Just my input..

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The 136 proaction skid will not just bolt in as some of the extra length is in the middle of the rail not just the end like an extension. Thus the middle and rear mount points are not in the same spot as an srx 121.

S
Sep 13, 2008
Call MPI see if they have any of their cross country kits for the SRX around. It will give you rail extensions and a template to move the rear skid and mounts back for a 144" track.
I built my RX1 the same way. Along with lots of ofher mods. For Booning in the UP. 6 hours to da UP or 20 hours to WY. I love out west but kust can not make it there everyother weekend.

Check out http://www.totallyamaha.com/ lots of info here.

I had the same thought for my 98 SRX. I ended up doing it to my RX and selling the SRX. Very happy with the mods.
Scott

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i had an 01 srx, and i stretched it to 136. it had ohlins on the front, i added 1" shock shaft extensions, stiffer front springs to get the front right. i installed viper long travel rear shocks and springs, tracks usa rail extensions, and mpi tunnel extension and Ucooler (dont think they make them anymore but grapeape on ty may have one that would fit.) i did a tech article installing the rail extensions on totallyamaha.com

was one of my favorite sleds to ride. ski

F
Jul 5, 2009
Michigan
i had an 01 srx, and i stretched it to 136. it had ohlins on the front, i added 1" shock shaft extensions, stiffer front springs to get the front right. i installed viper long travel rear shocks and springs, tracks usa rail extensions, and mpi tunnel extension and Ucooler (dont think they make them anymore but grapeape on ty may have one that would fit.) i did a tech article installing the rail extensions on totallyamaha.com

was one of my favorite sleds to ride. ski

I've talked to him about a couple SX's he wants to sell. Just waiting for him to get back with me when he can get them from up North.

I have the Viper rear shocks & flipped the front shock brackets to gain the extra 1" up front. What's the Ucooler & since the srx already has a rear cooler would I need anything else??

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
one is at my house LOL! storing it for him.

the srx does have a cooler but it is a pain to make work on the long track with the tunnel extension. most guys went with the mm cooler. we begged mpi back in the day to make sx/srx, mm, viper tunnel roof U shaped coolers for more, and better cooling. i did the srx, then a viper that way. never any heating issues.

mpi has kits for extending the sx/srx to whatever length you want. i ala carte ordered the tunnel extension and rivet kit, rear bumper from them, then ordered the hoses from a napa store (grapeape knows the numbers off his head i cant remember that far back, i am old), ordered the hose covers from the yamaha dealer (think you can get aftermarket ones ALOT cheaper from western power sports) then i ordered the rail extensions from bruce at tracks usa. and i located a track on doo talk (lots of 136 1.25" or whatever lug height you choose on there).

took an afternoon to install it all. made the sled fun both on and offtrail. ski

F
Jul 5, 2009
Michigan
^^^Are you storing the one with the M-10 or the one listed on TY with the Proaction & center dumps? Also are the PI pipes obnoxiously loud for Michigan? I heard you can get a "quiet" can for them. Just thinking of the push lately for sound regulation here.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
center dumps are quieter than end dumps. yamaha used to sell the power inc center dumps as gytr accy parts. i dont think you will have an issue with either of his pipes for noise (unless they lift the hood and see them). the centers are no louder than a stock srx in my opinion.

i have a shorty sx and a pogo phazer here. he has the two 136 red head sleds, one is at home in his trailer, one is at his fathers house, needing clean and prep for sale or riding. all of grape's stuff is super clean and ready to go. he wont put it for sale, unless he is confident there will be no issues for him or the buyer. great guy to do biz with.

i put a bug in him to get with you. he said you may already have his phone number from pm's on ty. you guys should get together on one of those sleds. ski

Premium Features