• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary replacement advice

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Have been thinking about replacing my primary clutch on my 09 M8. Mine is not bad, just has a lot of miles on it (over 4,000). I see from cat that the replacements for all year M8's are now the same clutch/part number. I know the cat primaries are know for exploding spiders, but it always seems to happen to the 2010's and up. Are the older (my 09) primaries better than the new ones from cat now? Would I be better off getting mine rebuilt at some point versus a new clutch, seeing as mine has held up well this long?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
With the mileage you have, I would get it rebuild pretty soon. We have all the parts needed to rebuild it, if you need help.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
You will certainly be my choice if I decide to go that route. Is wear on the sheaves and fatigue in the spider a concern at all with a clutch with this many miles on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Feb 27, 2014
You will certainly be my choice if I decide to go that route. Is wear on the sheaves and fatigue in the spider a concern at all with a clutch with this many miles on it?

I have 9000 ish miles on a stock 2008 primary. i just recently replaced the spider and pins/weights. All was good for about 4 rides. and this afternoon i noticed a crack in the moveable shiv that goes halfway down the face and up and in between the pin bushings. at this point i am getting a new primary. but other then moveable parts i had really good luck with it.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho

Yes, I would recommend a complete new spider. The issue with a spider that has a lot of miles would be that you put all new parts in the spider and then it fails soon afterward.

With that many miles I would do a moveable sheave bushing, cover plate bushing, spider, weight pins/nuts/orings, and a new spring for sure.

Premium Features