• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what's the real advantage of aftermarket running boards?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I'm thinking about putting on some Air Frames on my pro but I'm not sure why. I know the general consensus is because they shed snow so well. It seems to me that the stock boards don't do too bad of a job shedding snow, I get a bit of build up on the back 12" or so, not a big deal to kick it off. So other than snow shedding what are the pros?

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
I put them on my dragon last fall (well they were H&H Customs boards, but same basic design). I absolutely love them, seemed like on the powder days the snow would just push through then where as the stock boards would stick and I'd be high centered on them. Plus they are wider which helps when jumping from one side to the other, only downside I could see is that the traction screws did cut up the bottom of my boots pretty good this year.

F
Oct 19, 2011
Depends on what year and sled you have.
SBA - any aftermarket boards is a must! OEM boards are junk.
2013 and up PRO RMK have the burandt boards, which are perfect.
2011 and 2012 PRO RMK had crappy boards, held lots of snow.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I forgot how much I liked my airframes until I had to borrow a buddies 13 with Burandt boards. Stock boards suck period. Airframes have so much more traction and never any snow build up. #1 reason for me is the traction.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
They are also much more rigid than stock. The additional feel you get back and having your inputs transfer directly to the sled are a big factor for me.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
My sled is a 14 Pro, do the Air Frames really have that much better traction than the stockers? I'd have to say that I've never really felt that traction was much of an issue.
So is the width of the Air Frames a plus or a minus? I've read that because they are wider it makes the sled washout easier on a side hill. I've also read that because they are wider it gives you more leverage to throw the sled around.
In my imagination a big advantage would be the width, it just seems that the wider width would give more leverage to throw the sled around with.

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
i've got air frames on my iq, the traction studs are nice as you place the grip where you want it, they are wider ( good: jumpovers are more secure on landing, bad: maybe they do hang up easier on snow....can't think of anything else), and the fact that the running boards feels lightyears stiffer ( hard to imagine what stiff boards feel like, until you realize how flexy the stock ones are) and with the stiffer boards, i feel more confident when i plant goofy foot forward, and pull hard that she WILL come around.

definately top 2 best mods for my sled; other being boost, and that's always a hoot!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think the tube style boards don't hang up as much going through the snow. Snow passes through them from the underside just as much as it drops through them from the top side. So if they are a hair wider it's probably not going to hurt anything as long as it doesn't widen the belly pan where they attach at the front.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I had them on my '11, after ridin the '13 back to back with it I opted not to put them on. They are better than stock in grip, stifness, and I really liked the extra width. If they do cause it to hang up eaiser (which I never noticed) it still will hold a steeper line than the cat or doo, just not enough of an improvement for me to justify the money.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I never really felt like me stock boards flexed but I guess I might just be used to it and not realizing that it's happening.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I never really felt like me stock boards flexed but I guess I might just be used to it and not realizing that it's happening.

It's one of those things you don't really think about until you try a sled that has them. Just like I never thought my sleds needed a muff pot, until I got one!

Powderforlife907

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2011
Just curious why not burandts boards? I weigh 285 lbs fully geared, they don't flex, and they shed snow pretty good.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
How do the Air Frames treat your boots and bibs? My OEM boards have destroyed my boots in just one season.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
traction screws are boots nemesis. I think they are more rigid. Being wider is better for moving around but they do hang up in the snow more especially when trenching. If you dont have a problem with yours, why would you change them?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Trying to decide if I want the aluminum finish or black. Those who have black, how is the color holding up?

Premium Features