• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moved to Bozeman, buying first sled.

X
Sep 17, 2013
Just moved to Bozeman, was in the Marine Corps before this and went to school here at MSU last year but taking a year off to establish residency and work. I have never owned a sled but have ridden a few, but as I live here now I decided its time for a sled! I love skiing backcountry so I am primarily looking at a powder sled, and I am a bigger guy, 6'1'' and 210lbs so maybe an 800? I will be putting a rack on for my skis as well. Would you guys care to give me any pointers as to what sled would fit me best? I will definitely be jumping it a bit, and staying primarily off the trail looking for good powder stashes. Any help with picking the right sled would be much appreciated. Thanks!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
What kind of $$$ do u want to spend???

I would recommend a 09 or newer M Series Arctic Cat with a 162" track.

Be sure to check out Bracket Creek, and Buck creek. -Great riding

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
make a thread in the MT section. lots of cool people around here to ride with. and lots of people to help you get into stuff.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
05 and 06 arctic cat M7s are bullet proof and very capable sleds. I still have my 05 and will not be selling it just because it has been so good to me. I can go everywhere with it that the newer 800s go, it just takes some riding. If you are looking to spend a little more and have a little newer model, the 09+ M8's are good too. Chassis handles great and the motors are very durable 10's and 11's have more power than the 09's. The only downside to these sleds are they ride a little rougher on rough trails than other brands of the era, but off-trail performance is great. Main maintenance item is the gear drives going to the track. Open and check them once a year and change oil in there frequently.

X
Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the help guys, definitely looking into an older M series Arctic Cat. Would an M7 have the guts to pull around a 162 inch track? They seem to be a pretty good deal and at the right price point for me, trying to stay below $4k. Thanks again!

S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
the 700 motors are known for having a different kind of powerband than the 600s and 800s, it doesn't have balls to the walls power, but what it does have is linear power thats there all along the throttle , and the cat 700 is almost as good as it gets. Also it is brought up time and time again that the m7's can hang with the m8's depending on mods. The old m7's are super light weight and nimble, plus if you ever were to feel it was groggy with the 162 nothing a quick gear change couldn't fix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOKGAFVgkY

These twin piped m7's are nasty. If you got one you could always do an 800BB kit down the road or get some twins and a clutch kit. Keep in mind if you do look at older sleds try and get one with EFI so it compensates fuel for altitude.

Last edited:
X
Sep 17, 2013
Picking up a 2006 M7 EFI 162 up in Helena this week! No missing lugs, aftermarket pipe and fuel controller (I forgot which one) and a newer seat, one of those little ones from the newer M7's. Thanks for the heads up on the Cats, this thing looks great! Any pre season maintenance that I should do? Thanks!

Premium Features