• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m1000 block heater

S
Mar 15, 2014
Iowa
My first trip out west was an eye opener for sure. Woke up in the am only to discover my sled had apparently seized up according to my failed attempt to give the rope a pull... Friend says "yup, normal". Put a hair dryer on it, and pretty soon, she pulled over.

This got me thinking. Has Anyone ever try one of those silicone block heaters on their cold Cat big bores?

I would think a 50 amp silicone heater stuck somewhere on the bottom side of the block (heat rises) would heat the motor up enough they'd start when it's bitter cold. They come in 12v or 120v, so you could plug it into an accessory outlet on the truck or trailer, or plug it into the wall outlet.

Thoughts?

J
Aug 31, 2011
Nothing worse than having your riding buddies help you pull start your sled the day after riding the torque monster. I have been there. Arms sore from hanging on the day after and No strength the next day at 10 below......

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
I would think it would melt. beyond that as long as its power source is external to any of the sled circuits it wouldn't do any harm to try

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
A silicone heater should help if you can find a good flat spot to install it. I would look at an inline coolant heater first. I think Cat sells them or just determine the diameter of the coolant hose and look online or at an Auto parts store for one that fits.

Premium Features