• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery to run fuel pump to pre-pressurize system before start-up?

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
A guy in passing told me he hooks a battery up directly to his fuel pump to pre-pressurize the system so it would be easier to start. I don't know the guy and can't find him to ask for details. On my BB it usually takes several pulls to get the pressure up before it will start, and on a cold day several pulls can be quite the chore. What voltage and amperage does the fuel pump run on? DC I'm assuming if using a battery? This is on an '07 M1000 based motor, thanks!!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Yup done that myself,just a regular 9 volt battery will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Thanks! Did you just splice in a 9 volt connector in the wires going to the pump then? And just unplug the 9 volt after the sled starts?

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
? Bad Pump ?

I just had the same thing happen to my 2007 M1000 and it need a new fuel pump all together. I tested it by using my ATV battery. I have a battery tender in it so I hooked the tender lead up with a new connector and unplugged the fuel pump wire from the tank and with the 2 leads you have positive and negative, right. You can go either direction with the leads and it will either pulse on like mine did just a shock and nothing. Replaced the pump and its easier starting then it has been for about 3 years. My guess is that it was getting bad for a while. Don't buy a new pump from Cat as they are like $600. On ebay you can find one for $114.98 is what I paid and starts first pull now cold.

Premium Features