• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Portable/In-car Navigation/GPS????

R
Oct 26, 2001
Lethbridge Alberta
Looking for a gift.....Older gentleman wanting one for his car but I know nothing about them......Looking for mid to upper end model.....Costco.ca has a Garmin Nuvi 750 Portable GPS. Any good? Also need quite a large screen with bells and whistles as it is more of a toy.....Thanks Kids!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I have used the Nuvi 205W... I think they are less then 200 now. They work very well and I was surprised how easy it was to use. I am not sure you gain much with the higher end units, except more stuff to not use. I think past the 205W all the screens are the same size... Make sure you buy a nice mount like from GPScity.com or something. It helps to have it on the windshield over by the a-piller. At least that is where I thought it was best.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'd go through Ram-Mount.com. They even have screen magnifiers that mount to the bracket if you want a bigger view.

W
Jan 2, 2008
Garmin Nuvi

I love it, wouldn't road trip without one ever again

talk about remove the stress in going thru citys your not familiar with.

also, are you sure you want top of the line? more buttons to confuse the old guy.

I have bottom of the line 200 something Nuvi and it worked awesome for me. I had no desire to store MP3's on my GPS, or hook it to my phone via blue tooth....just more junk to confuse people.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I have bottom of the line 200 something Nuvi and it worked awesome for me. I had no desire to store MP3's on my GPS, or hook it to my phone via blue tooth....just more junk to confuse people.

Ed Zackery.... I have compared the models above the 200 line, and it seems most of the stuff that you get has nothing to do with gps... Get the cheapest nuvi with the biggest screen.....

They rock

I have used the 205W which I think fits the bill perfectly. My dad showed me how to use it and he had to have detailed instructions on how to use the receiver/dvd combo that I bought him. They are super easy to use!

If the cheaper ones are on the low end of your price range, buy him two!:p

Premium Features