• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rmk 900 bogs and back fires

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
called me to pick it up because they apparently cant do anything once it has a pipe on it at the dealer ?

If it is out of warranty.... what does that have to do with the price of tea in China???

The pipe does NOT change anyting with the fuel pump or electrical system other than a different map in the ECU.

Who is your dealer??

A
Dec 15, 2010
using the wires and the "prime" procedure i hooked it up and still got the 28psi, so i pinched the return line and got the 116 :) FINALLY making sense to me. so that would mean i need a regulator or the hoses in the tank? the tank is still off and i'm going to pull the pump unit out tonight and check it over.

my dealer is c&c rentals in brandon manitoba, and they said they checked all this stuff but now i've almost done everything they said they done and finally found this.

A
Dec 15, 2010
i also started the sled with it pinched off. it idles normal again at lik 1700, and also revs up and rides like normal. thanks so much guys for all the help, i'll update ya with what i find in the tank tonight. anyone have a good place to order a fuel pressure regulator from? my dealer in brandon always takes 2-3 weeks for parts to come.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You do NOT want to pinch OFF!!

Just restrict flow.

Also... you will see in my post that I said to check the lines and regulator (pull the tank) first.

Patience and methodical work will pay off.

You DO have a brand new filter in there...RIGHT??

A
Dec 15, 2010
yes the filter is brand new, and yea i didn't completely pinch it off, just about 1/2 or maybe a little better. and the guage now reads right around 115. so i am almost positive its hoses in the tank or the regulator i will check it tonight when i can get it in the warm garage.

L

lowridermatt

Feb 1, 2009
Whitehose,Yukon
My 06 is doing same thing as this other sled but it is flashing tps code. New TPS. Dealer didnt have updated harness....Anyone had this fuel problem and had TPS code. Fuel filter hasnt been changed in a little bit. When this prob started, I found once I got out of powder it cleared up(bog) but ran bad. Now just bogs unless feather the gas.Re-sealed slp intake. Intake boots ok. Blue bird up at summit.... Damn 900. If it didnt work so awesome the rest of the time...What would I buy. So far only turbo sleds(yam) and newer AC can compare.Never a cat fan. Yam not my thing. Dont like my dealer. Dont these sleds clear engine codes on their own(no scanner needed) once prob fixed?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If it is flashing the TPS code... it wont run right.

You have a TPS related problem.

I have seen more harness failures than actual TPS failures.

IMO, replace the TPS pigtail. Tip: keep the wires long and go as far back into the harness as you can... many dealers spice close to the TPS because it takes less time... but often miss the break inside the insulation jacket of the wire.

I've yet to see a dealer that stocks the repair pigtail harness for the TPS...
Easy to install yourself with only minor tools and skills. You need a ligher or heat gun, and a pair of wire strippers/cutters.

The wire colors are different on the repair harness (it is made for repairs on ATV's with the same TPS sensor).
You need to match the POSITION of the wire in the connector to the color in sled harness to be the same as the original... easy to do, just don't rush it and double check your work before making the crimp.

Codes are cleared once the prob is fixed and the sled is shut off and restarted.

Change your fuel filter each/every season along with your clutch springs.

How confident are you that the dealer set the TPS correctly (baseline, sync AND idle voltage)??

Last edited:
L

lowridermatt

Feb 1, 2009
Whitehose,Yukon
Thanks for quick reply. I tested tps sensor with proper scan tool and polaris tps tool.. Checked voltage sweep and graphed sensor voltage. No opens or dropouts. I think my sensor was fine but def was out of adjustment. I insatlled new tps anyways.I am very confident it is set right. Followed manuel to the tee. Wiring just dangles around the side of the motor though. Kinda want to cut wires off and attach new ones from tps to inside the harness. How much wire comes with the new plug? I did check the ground when I had the sensor unpluged and it was ok. Just found plug caps are arching on the spark plugs so I am going to replace those. Reverse also does not work.It was working last weekend when the prob started and would not work just before I worked on it.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Right ON!!

I've seen that on at least 10 sleds so far with that PFA setup.

What kind of hose did you use... Standard fuel hose will work for a bit... but I would not want to be in the backcountry and rely on it. High pressure hose made for constant submersion in gas is what you need... plus MUCH better hose clamps than the worm drive shown in in the pic.

Have a look at this thread with info from Polar Express on hose and clamps.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222770

Good luck and happy riding!!

L

lowridermatt

Feb 1, 2009
Whitehose,Yukon
Thanks for your help mountainhorse! Cut my tps sensor wiring off at about the ground splice for the ground wire and 3 in further back for the ref and v wires. I soldered the new wires to the terminals in the connector and re-assembled. When I was taking the wires off the terminals the v and ref wires seperated with barely a tug :face-icon-small-sho. The wires were broken right at the sensor. Even with the tie strap holding the wires to the base of connector area, it still broke the wires right there. Works awesome and had a wicked day of riding around the mountains near home! Now seeing how cheap the wires look in my sled...Why use such crappy looking wire?:face-icon-small-dis No wonder there is such probs with these sleds. Reverse is back also!

A
Dec 15, 2010
i used standard hose, and the junk clamps that are on it. i probably only have 3 weeks or a month o riding left out here :( so in the summer gonnna tear it all down and replace all the hoses, and probably change all out all the stuff people recomend doing every season. this is my first efi sled and definately been a learning experience. but i would never get rid of it, nothing any of my friends have ride like it does.

Premium Features