• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Idle When Warm And Hard Cold Starts

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
My 2012 Pro RMK will idle low on warm restarts and take up to 3-5 pulls cold to get started.

This problem goes away with me adding just a little throttle but it's getting to be a concern.

I'm aware that the TPS is a likely culprit (based on previous posts), but the dealer looked it over and can't duplicate the problem. They replaced the plugs and said one looked a little dark. I was running a little pre-mix but I have stopped doing that a couple of tanks since. Dealer says the TPS checked out.

I would like to dry out the TPS and add some dialectic grease in case it's a moisture problem. How do I go about doing this? How do I get to the TPS?

I am also aware that the throttle cable might be out of spec. How do I tighten it up to the proper spec and what is that spec?

Am I missing any other possible gremlins?:behindsofa:

Thanks in advance, this forum of owners is very generous with information and has been a great help to me in preventing problems.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
I would like to dry out the TPS and add some dialectic grease in case it's a moisture problem. How do I go about doing this? How do I get to the TPS?

I am also aware that the throttle cable might be out of spec. How do I tighten it up to the proper spec and what is that spec?

TPS:

Remove the Secondary, behind it to the left you will see a small black unit that has a connection with a rubber boot over it, slide the boot off and pull out the connection. Blow compressed air into it if possible to remove excess moisture. Grease and put the connection and boot back on.

I actually just drilled a small hole in the bottom of my tps to help any water that enters drain out. Will see how that works.

Throttle Cable:

Follow the cable from your throttle lever part way down your steering post. You'll see the cable that has the rubber boot sleeved over it. Slide it up and you'll see the barrel nuts. That's how you tighten, loosen the throttle cable. It should be snug, like a dime size gap between the throttle and the block.

Hope that helps.

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have removed the secondary and I see a black box up and to the left? Is that the TPS?

Dumb question . After taking the secondary off, three different thickness washers fell onto the plastic below "doh"! I want to be sure that I put them back where they belong.

Do they just go back on the shaft before I put the secondary back on?

I also noticed that the bolt holding the secondary on had very little torque. Is that normal? Uggh......

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
the bolt on the clutch dosent have to be over tight just so it dosent come out is has no presure on it if the clutches are aligned tight is tight to tight is broke :face-icon-small-coo

R

rugbynitro

Nov 4, 2009
Kamloops, B.C.
Thanks everyone! Got it back together, cleaned the clutches while I was in there and it's still running....... :shocked:

We'll see how it goes this weekend.

Premium Features