• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sat Phone

D

doo-skiboy

Dec 5, 2007
I'm looking really hard at satellite Phone just wanted to check if anyone has had any experience with them and which has the best service? I will be using it for Sledding and camping

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I think your 2 choices are Iridium and Globalstar. Of those there is only 1 choice....Iridium. I have heard many stories of no Sat's in the air and bad reception with GS. I have had Iridium for 3 years now sledding all over North america and BC without a single problem. I actually got connected sitting near a window in a warming cabin near Castlegar, BC a week ago. Phone is tough too. I take it in many sports during all 4 seasons. Good luck. EW

G
Feb 25, 2008
I agree with EricW. I have both Globalstar and Iridium and the Iridium is the only system that reliably works. I use it for work and play throughout Western & Northern Canada as well as into Alaska with no problems. The Globalstar satellites have degraded to the point that there is only partial coverage so you may have to wait for a period of time before a satellite that is functioning comes into view so your phone will work. Not great in an emergency. The Globalstar website gives the entire skinny if your interested.
Anyways, it is my experience that Iridium is the only way to go.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I'm curious how expensive the phones and service are. The Mrs. says she'd feel a lot better if she knew I had a phone to use in case of an emergency up on the mountain.

P
Dec 1, 2008
Kimberley, BC
Do no I repeat DO NOT buy a Globalstar. I have 5 of them for my company and I also have 5 Iridiums. The Globalstars never work. They have lost a few sats over the years and I would say in the mountains you will get a signal 5% of the time, and that is if you are in a broad valley facing south. Once I couldn't get a signal in the middle of a soccer field in the city!!!!!!!!!

Iridiums are way way better. Still there are times when you cannot get reception but way more reliable. Ask anyone who works in the bush and I am sure they will tell you the same information.

I pay about 40 dollars a month for the Iridium phone service and it is about $.60 a minute to use. Pretty reasonable really. I think the Iridiums were about 1000 buckaroos to buy. (Canadian pricing)

The Globalstars are about as useful to me as a brick in my backpack.

Last edited:

scarffy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2008
langley B.C.
I bought GS it has never worked since day 1 . They told me to upgrade phone so i did spent another $500 still no service , so bottom line cant say buy a GS .

B
Mar 1, 2004
I'm looking really hard at satellite Phone just wanted to check if anyone has had any experience with them and which has the best service? I will be using it for Sledding and camping

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

globalstar will be back. new sats going up this year 400 something million they are spending ..the 1600 model you can also put telus cell phone in with sat .. 2 in 1 phone the other's you can't..they also are the one's that own the spot sats ..

M
Nov 26, 2007
BC
globalstar will be back. new sats going up this year 400 something million they are spending ..the 1600 model you can also put telus cell phone in with sat .. 2 in 1 phone the other's you can't..they also are the one's that own the spot sats ..

Iv'e been hearing that for 2 years now. Still only works I would say 50% of the time if that.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Do no I repeat DO NOT buy a Globalstar. I have 5 of them for my company and I also have 5 Iridiums. The Globalstars never work. They have lost a few sats over the years and I would say in the mountains you will get a signal 5% of the time, and that is if you are in a broad valley facing south. Once I couldn't get a signal in the middle of a soccer field in the city!!!!!!!!!

Iridiums are way way better. Still there are times when you cannot get reception but way more reliable. Ask anyone who works in the bush and I am sure they will tell you the same information.

I pay about 40 dollars a month for the Iridium phone service and it is about $.60 a minute to use. Pretty reasonable really. I think the Iridiums were about 1000 buckaroos to buy. (Canadian pricing)

The Globalstars are about as useful to me as a brick in my backpack.

Just got a Iridum lease return $1200.00 ( $2000.00 new ) also $300.00 for 200 minute for six months .

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I am a Globalstar owner and have been for close to four years.Out of every hour you get around forty minutes of service,supposed to change as they are supposed to be sending up more satelites in the very near future.
I have over the years called many helicopters for many people in the backcountry.
One thing that is a bonus is I pay $35.00 a month for unlimited airtime,no such thing as long distance charges.
Another bonous about Globalstar is you can buy your phone for $450.00 which when I last inquired included a car kit.
Yes service is not perfect,but the cost makes up for the inconvieniance of losing service for between ten and twenty minutes every hour.
Every day I do ride while having lunch I phone my wife to let her know how we are and phone any friends that did not come sledding for whatever reason to rub it in on how good conditions are.

Dave

P
Dec 1, 2008
Kimberley, BC
Iv'e been hearing that for 2 years now. Still only works I would say 50% of the time if that.

I have been hearing that for years with GS. Because I used to have 5-7 contracts at a time they still call me once a year to tell me the new SAT's are going up soon. Yeah right call me when they are in the air.

Very happy with my Iridiums.

Premium Features