• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to install Team clutch spring without the tool.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I need to install the spring in my team clutch and I dion't want to spend $70 on a tool if there's an easy way with a home-made tool. I was trying to think something up with a long threaded rod but I'm not much of a fabricator/inventor. Just wondering what other's have done. Pictures would be great. Or is there a cheaper tool than the Team Ind. tool?

Thanks.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have a hydraulic press so that helps, but your threaded rod idea works too. I used a piece of 3" white drain pipe with a large notch cut up one side. I might have taken close to a third of the diameter out and then cut it up about half way. I also cut about a 1.25" notch up the back as well.

If you use the all-thread method. slide it through the clutch, use a large washer, piece of metal, saw blade, grinder wheel. (we are jimmy rigging this aren't we?), or whatever you have handy that can bridge across the clutch opening. Slide the pipe sleeve over the all-thread until it rests on the "spider". Next washer up the all-thread and run a nut down on it. It may help to put the lower nut in a vise to hold everything up right.

Once everything is positioned, start tightening the upper nut so the spider moves away from the snap ring, it only moves about 1/8". Get a marker and mark the top of the snap ring. It will need to be replaced with this side up or it can come off later, don't ask how I know. Get yourself about the best pair of snap ring pliers and remove snap ring, cussing frequently.

Once snap ring is off, back off tension of upper nut until pressure is relieved. You will notice a keyed spline that has to be realigned when reinstalling. I mark mine with a yellow paint marker so I can see it easy when clamping it back down. Have fun with the snap ring.

VB

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
tool

I made my own puller. I used a peice of flat bar 2" wide 1/4" thick and 10" long. Drill a hole in the middle and then bend it into a u shape. The U should be just wide enough to fit inbetween the rollers. Then run a 18" peice of threaded round bar through the hole and the center of the clutch. Put a washer and a nut on each end and tighten it up

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I wanna say thanks to Mafesto here on the forum. Since I am currently working in the same town he lives in I PM'ed him and asked if he knew of any metal shops in the area that would fabricate one for me. He said he could do it and had it made for me the next day. Thanks again Bill.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I wanna say thanks to Mafesto here on the forum. Since I am currently working in the same town he lives in I PM'ed him and asked if he knew of any metal shops in the area that would fabricate one for me. He said he could do it and had it made for me the next day. Thanks again Bill.

You're very welcome!
Hope you have a fun weekend!

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Threaded rod and some nuts and washers will do the trick. You will also need a piece that looks like a capital "C" in block form or something equilvelant to it. I like the piece of plastic PVC really well, I might go that route with some washers and so on.

You will need something to hold it all compressed, it's not super dangerous but it's not something you can simply press down with your hands and then install and remove the circlip.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Here's my version. Probably not as stable as the ones with a tube to push on the roller piece, but its always worked for me.
And yes, good snap ring pliers required. I think I have broken 3 pairs of cheapies between the secondary and the chaincase snap rings.

100_4150.jpg

Premium Features