• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS clutching NA

Z
Dec 28, 2014
Norway.. what is your current helix? I'm from Finland and driving mostly in sealevel and want to try Trs setup, just don't know where to start. Does 42-32f helix with 125-175 spring also work in sealevel or should I get steeper angle helix??

My sled is stock -16 pro 155 2.6"

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
L is the physical weight. They rank the weight with letters. They are hammerheads with special Rogers cut. That's my understanding .... Do a scroll down to select weight size. The letters will appear. I would do a screen shot but I don't know how to post pics anymore.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Norway.. what is your current helix? I'm from Finland and driving mostly in sealevel and want to try Trs setup, just don't know where to start. Does 42-32f helix with 125-175 spring also work in sealevel or should I get steeper angle helix??

My sled is stock -16 pro 155 2.6"

Greetings and welcome to the party!

I see we hav similar sleds and both ride really low elevation. That gives us some common ground to stand on for sure.

Since I just started to get into this specific direction of clutching, I am hesitant to give you directions..
I got a 46-32F helix with a 100/200 spring and run 110/290 primary spring together with 70gr Lightning weights. I also bought PRO gears for my quick-drive, so my sled is geared lower than yours. Have the 125/175 secondary spring coming and hope that this will let me go down to 60gr +/-.

Before you buy parts, read the original information!! "TRS clutching" here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424500

It is in 4 parts now and can be a lot to take in if you are new to clutching a snowmobile. If so, get help to perform the different tasks! If you do the boring stuff like fix alignment, clutch sheave to belt clearance and secondary float/shimming first you will feel much better later knowing those things are taken care of.

Other than that, I can tell you how my sled is working for my riding with the different things I do. You will have to make some small decisions and decide where you want to start and find YOUR sweet spot. My sled ran good from day one. No trouble with TPS out of adjustment or anything.

Remember that the TRS clutching threads are for turbos and many sledders in the US run extremely high elevations compared to you and me. This concept for more stock sleds is still in the making so take it for what it is.

Cheers!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Still testing here. Ran the 45c yesterday, will test it more.
The Speedwerx setup works very well. Now I’ll test the Lightning’s with the 40-32 combination.
The reason behind the Speedwerx set up is to find an alternative for Lightning weights. Lightnings are getting almost impossible to purchase.
As far as how this will work at low elevation, I don’t know.
In the past I have ran my setups at 1400’ and just replaced the flyweights with a heavier weight in the same profile.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Tony, how have the belt to sheave clearance differences been? Are the weights close to the 10 series so it doesn't need changed? Just curios because I don't have the tools to change that, and the closest shop that can do it is 3hrs away....

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Tony, how have the belt to sheave clearance differences been? Are the weights close to the 10 series so it doesn't need changed? Just curios because I don't have the tools to change that, and the closest shop that can do it is 3hrs away....

Even with stock 10 series weights, on stock clutches, coming down the production line there can be wide variations.

This is something that needs to be measured and is often overlooked.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
I know it needs checked, but some weights drastically change it so you always have to change that clearance. just wondering if these are that way so that if other people are in the same boat as me they can plan ahead for sending the clutch in to have clearance changed. or are the weights close enough that its worth risking it being within spec....

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Belt to sheave will need adjustment.
Murph is right, my personal sled came from the factory with .050” belt to sheave.
I set them at .020-.030”.

Rogers has the L weight in the correct heel. I have a call into Jeremy at Speedwerx to see what options are available.
The L weight is for our elevation 8-10,000. Hot pipe 8350-8250 rpm respectively.

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
I guess im not very good at asking the correct question.....my clutch belt to sheave has already been set properly for my 10 series weights. so if its set properly now, will the speedwerx still need adjusting? I will obviously check it when they get here, but if theres a chance it will be close I can plan to ride this week. if they are a huge difference then I will plan on sending my clutch in. Thanks

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I guess im not very good at asking the correct question.....my clutch belt to sheave has already been set properly for my 10 series weights. so if its set properly now, will the speedwerx still need adjusting? I will obviously check it when they get here, but if theres a chance it will be close I can plan to ride this week. if they are a huge difference then I will plan on sending my clutch in. Thanks

You will need to adjust. Your dealer can do it. It’s a simple task if you have the tools. Where would you send it?

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Weights came in the mail today. Just installed them. Belt to sheave clearance went from .030 with 10 series weights, to .028 with the speedwerx weights

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Weights came in the mail today. Just installed them. Belt to sheave clearance went from .030 with 10 series weights, to .028 with the speedwerx weights
That's interesting, I have some N weights compared to the 10 series add .005 to the belt clearance. I wonder if they changed them as these are about 4 years old

Ahh....never mind, I just read back and realized you have the Rogers ones.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
So, just to thicken the plot more I looked for a softer spring than my 110/290 in the primary.

Found Polaris gold, used on a million sleds in the nineties from Indy Lite to Ultra!!
100/275lb.

Not a big difference, but I hope that together with lower end-pressure on the secondary spring (100/200 to 125/175), it will let the lighter weights work.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ya you can Sparky lol. They work perfect for me but I wouldn't want to sell someone on them. But, as you said "2 or 3 gram swings" do not cut it even with Lightening weights.
HHer's saving grace for me was .2 gr changes possible and their profile is about the exact opposite of Lightenings lol.
Started with 100/310 spring and 68.3 gr and finished with 95/200 61.8 gr. All set-ups gave the same r's but only one worked with the secondary I trusted.

The thing what should be explained is "TRS clutching" is a "package" of set-up and parts, not just weights and a helix.
No "free lunch" with out the work eh.
Doing some re-reading. Did you really mean 95/200 primary spring?? That is a LOW finsh rate!! Whos spring is that?

Thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If anyone is looking for lightning weights I have some available in the swapmeet.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I wonder if the 46 starting angle is to much.. or the 70gr weights makes it pull to hard on engagement??
The engagement itself is smooth, but the takeoff is just to harsh. A good yank from the bars.
How do those turbo sleds manage that helix?

Last edited:
Premium Features