• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch removal

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
Have you tried, and it won't break loose? You should just use a holder and tighten puller until it pops. You may have to give a tap on the end of the puller with a hammer after the puller is good and tight. If you don't have a clutch holder, you can put a wooden stick through the towers (don't use a metal bar). A wooden broom handle, or better yet, a wooden toilet plunger handle is about the right size. You can use an impact on it if all else fails.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
You need the correct puller. It goes into the same hole as the clutch bolt comes out of. We borrow one from a local mechanic we know well. I would grease the end of the puller and the threads. If it is stubborn and doesn't pop off, we will fill the hole with grease as full as we can, before installing the puller into the hole. It lubricates the threads and in theory adds hydraulic action when threading in the puller. Every thing else is just as SD says. When they loosen they do pop.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Using an impact can knock the crank out of phase. Tighten it as tight as you can and tap the puller and tighten it some more.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
thanks guys, i have the corect puller I will try adding some grease and maybe give it a hit with the impact. Scott
put a dab of antiseize on the tip, and it creates kind of a hydraulic pressure if you can get it in there without takign too much off the top...that helps more than you would think...

B
Nov 26, 2007
Once you have some good tension on the puller you can tap the end of puller with a hammer but you need to use some discression and not wale on it. Also add a little heat to the clutch at the bottom of the sheeves but not to much. This typically the last step before you just cut the SOB off.

N

nben

Nov 26, 2007
Try adding tension and leaving it for the night. I have been down that road before and left it out of frustration. Returned in the a.m. to find the clutch in the bellypan.

Premium Features