Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
ncandrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 Vmax Sx 700 Triple Help

Hi I have a 1999 Vmax Sx 700 Triple. The engine was replace by a previous owner so it has unknown miles. It is a red top 700 triple. Fist when I was having trouble with my sled I was bogging out every time I went to go full throttle. I did a compression test and it came 90 psi in each cylinder. So I went to a dealer bought new gaskets, pistons, and rings. Took the engine apart and put the new parts in. When I put the new gasket on the top, I cut the ribbit holding them together and took the middle layer out to build more compression. When I put everything back together, I did another compression test. It came out as 100 psi in each cylinder. I figured it was bad seals in the crank. So we bought a known good crank from a sled that had bad pistons. The sled that the crank came from was a 2001 sxr red top motor. I switched the cranks. Putting everything back together I noticed that the plugs from stator was different. So I took the recoil off my original crank. I've own this sled for 2 years and its the first time I've taken the recoil off. When I taken it off I noticed the fly wheel nut was missing. So I think this is the reason why my sled wasn't running right. But any way I switched the plugs from the stator. Now every things back together. I took the sled down the street and back. Now it sounds like its running on two cylinders. The cylinder furthest from the PTO side isn't firing. So I put a never been used BR9ES spark plug in. Still sounds like its running on two cylinders. So I did another compression test and i'm still reading 100 psi. Am I doing something wrong? Everything is torque to specs. I put in new gaskets for everything. Carbs have been cleaned recently.

Last edited by ncandrick; 03-07-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM
jm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to beholdjm is a splendid one to behold

Do you have spark onbad cylinder

Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm View Post
Do you have spark onbad cylinder
yes i took all the spark plugs out and pulled it over to see if i had spark.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Givemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check the reeds ?

Ken..........

Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemeaboost View Post
Did you check the reeds ?

Ken..........
No, but my carbs have been cleaned twice now.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Basic Member
700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute700redsled has a reputation beyond repute
Default 99sx

pilot jets very small sure they are clean

Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700redsled View Post
pilot jets very small sure they are clean
Ya there clean, but that wouldn't be my problem if I only have a 100psi of compression. I did some research online and they say to take a feeler gauge and put your rings in the jug and see what the space between the openings of the rings. Dose anyone know what I should have for space between the rings. Im not shore if my jugs are bored out. Could I go with oversize rings? Or do I try running it on the trail to see if the rings sit in?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Givemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond repute

You've got compression and spark. Check the reads. It's got to be a fuel problem.

Ken..........

Last edited by Givemeaboost; 03-08-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemeaboost View Post
You've got compression and spark. Check the reads. It's got to be a fuel problem.

Ken..........
I dont have the compression I should be running at 120-130 psi for a minimum.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Currently: waiting for snow
..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute..SNAKEBIT.. has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-25-2018, 02:35 AM
Basic Member
lukaskupasz is an unknown quantity at this point
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register